No. 22 Butler tops Owls

Butler, the No. 22 team in the AP Top 25 Poll, defeated Temple 74-69 Friday in the semifinals of the Puerto Rico Tip-Off

For 32 minutes, Temple held Butler University’s Tyler Lewis without a field goal.

After a 3-pointer with 8 minutes remaining, the redshirt-junior guard scored 14 second-half points, lifting Butler over Temple, 77-69, Friday in the semifinals of the Puerto Rico Tip-Off.

Lewis, who came into the game averaging 13 points per game, was one of four Bulldogs to score in double figures. As a team, Butler shot 36 percent from the field and grabbed 47 rebounds, including 19 offensive rebounds.

Through three games this season, the Owl have given up 43 offensive rebounds.

Temple, who shot 38 percent from the floor, had four players in double figure scoring—led by senior guard Quenton DeCosey who scored 24 points on 9-of-16-shooting.

After scoring four points Thursday against the University of Minnesota, senior guard Josh Brown scored 12 points, including four 3-pointers. Seniors Jaylen Bond and Devin Coleman combined for 23 points.

The Owls held Butler’s leading scorer Kellen Dunham to 16 points on  5-of-20 shooting. The senior guard came into the game shooting 61 percent from the field.

Temple jumped out to an early 12-2 lead on the Bulldogs, shooting 6-of-11 from the field—while Butler knocked down one of its first nine shots. Bond had six of the team’s 12 points and grabbed four rebounds in the first six minutes of the game.

After sophomore forward Obi Enechionyia picked up his second foul with 11:50 remaining in the first half, Butler went on an 11-6 run to cut Temple’s lead to three points. After missing two of their first 12 shots, the Bulldogs knocked down 4-of-6 shots from the field during the run.

Butler took its first lead of the the game after Dunham scored five consecutive points to give Butler a 27-26 lead with six minutes remaining until halftime. The senior guard started the game 0-of-6 from the field.

Following Butler’s run, DeCosey tied the game at 31 on a driving layup with 57 seconds until halftime.

After Jones converted a layup seven seconds after DeCosey’s bucket, junior forward Mark Williams missed a 3-pointer, leading to a buzzer-beating jump shot from Dunham—giving Butler a 35-31 lead at halftime.

Despite shooting 42 percent from the field, the Owls allowed  allowed 12 offensive rebounds in the first half, which lead to 15 second chance points for the Bulldogs. The Owls were outrebounded 26-19 in the first half.

In three games this season, the Owls have allowed 26 offensive rebounds in the first half.

Michael Guise can be reached at michael.guise@temple.edu or on Twitter @Michael_Guise