One Black vote for Katz

Name: Danean Nixon Major: Journalism Email: Danean.Nixon@radianmi.com Phone: 267-456-1027 Aside from the fact that I woke up late, or that I had classes between 10:00am and 1:00pm. Aside from the fact that I had to

Name: Danean Nixon
Major: Journalism
Email: Danean.Nixon@radianmi.com
Phone: 267-456-1027

Aside from the fact that I woke up late, or that I had classes between 10:00am and 1:00pm. Aside from the fact that I had to be at work by 1:45pm, or that I got off at 10:00pm. I was determined to vote. For Sam Katz, that is.
Being an African-American Democrat from the lower class population, I posed a major conflict of interest. I had friends jokingly call me a “sell-out” while my parents simply regarded my individualist thinking as being “stubborn and stupid”.
Not to mention that for the past several months I have been bombarded with images to aid in the re-election of our mayor. Some were positive. Others were negative. Most were annoying. Like the numerous pre-recorded messages I received on my telephone or those volunteers riding around in white vans blasting hip-hop chanting “Street – Street” every 30 seconds like they were trying to plant some type of subliminal message.
Nevertheless, I put on my blinders and my earplugs and headed to the polls to elect my choice for Mayor. I was going to be 45 minutes late for work but I really did not care. I stepped off the trolley and walked right pass a man offering me a “Vote for Street” button and through the crowd of volunteers standing outside the polls handing out flyers that said, “Vote straight democratic ticket – Press #1”.
I voted and I am glad that I did because I believe in “Equal Rights” and “Equal Opportunity” and to me that means If one person does not get it “Right” give another person the “Opportunity” to make it better.