One wounded in shooting at off-campus gas station

A Texaco gas station attendant was shot in the leg during a robbery in the early morning hours of Monday, April 22. According to Lt. Robert Lowell of the Temple Police, the employee was treated

A Texaco gas station attendant was shot in the leg during a robbery in the early morning hours of Monday, April 22.

According to Lt. Robert Lowell of the Temple Police, the employee was treated for a gunshot wound to the left leg at Temple Hospital and released.

The robber fled south on Broad Street in a dark colored vehicle after the shooting, police said.

Police would not release the name of the employee and did not know the amount of money stolen. There are currently no suspects.

According to police, the employee did not know the attacker.

The robbery occurred at 1:03 a.m. when the attendant was approached and asked for window washer fluid, said police. When the employee opened a back door to fulfill the request, the robber drew a gun and demanded money. The attendant was shot during a brief struggle with the assailant.

Lowell described the violent robbery at this particular Texaco — located at 2040 North Broad Street, directly across from the Johnson/Hardwick freshman dorms — as a “rarity.”

“I don’t remember the Texaco station ever being held up,” he said.

The station’s owner did not respond to several messages left on his cell phone.

Lowell did not believe the robbery presented any special risk to the students that frequent the gas station for cigarettes and other items, or the residents of Johnson/Hardwick.

“They should always be on the alert,” he said. “Anytime anybody is out in the morning, they should be aware of what is around them.”

Mike Gainer can be reached at gainerm@temple.edu