The Temple News, Temple University’s award-winning student newspaper, is looking for an editor in chief for the 2013-14 academic year. Candidates must be enrolled, matriculated Temple University students who, if chosen as editor, will be registered for at least nine hours of undergraduate course work or five hours of graduate work during their entire term of office.
A good candidate should demonstrate strong leadership ability and proven managerial skills with prior experience in publications. A candidate’s experience in the business, editorial and design aspects of newspaper publishing will be a factor in the selection of the editor.
Contact Student Media Program Director John Di Carlo at firstname.lastname@example.org to obtain an application. Candidates should submit a completed copy of the proposal packet, two letters of recommendation, a current resume and a number of writing samples to the Office of Student Media in Room 304 of the Student Center.
Candidates will be interviewed by the Temple University Publications Board.
Applications are due Friday, April 19.
Advertising Sales Manager
The Temple News is searching for an energetic, motivated Sales Manager to join our student-run newspaper. The Sales Manager position is a great resume builder and networking opportunity for any student looking to get management and leadership experience while still in college!
In this position, you will:
- Maintain and expand sales quotas/territory and achieve monthly goals
- Monitor the sales pipeline and provide regular updates to the Editor-In-Chief
- Recruit, hire and train ad sales representatives; teach and incentivize them to sell
- Recommend strategies and resources to achieve sales goals in all territories
- Attend client meetings and conference calls with ad representatives as needed
- Work with editorial to coordinate sales of any special issues
- Maintain master client list of all advertisers
- Prepare commission statements for the Business Manager
- Work with Business Manager to address any client concerns or payment issues
Desired Skills & Experience
You should have:
- A minimum of one year of sales experience
- Desire to learn management skills by working with the Media Director
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong organizational skills and work ethic – ability to rapidly respond to many emails and phone calls
- Proficiency in Excel, familiarity with Photoshop or web editing languages/Wordpress a plus
- Demonstrated skills working in a fast paced, team environment
To apply, send a copy of your resume to email@example.com. Applications are due by Thursday April 25th and interviews will be held the following week.