Outstanding Owl

Have you ever been to the Temple basketball games and seen that kid with the cardboard cutout of Coach Chaney? That would be Patrick Brogan and he is one of Temple’s most avid sports fans,

Have you ever been to the Temple basketball games and seen that kid with the cardboard cutout of Coach Chaney? That would be Patrick Brogan and he is one of Temple’s most avid sports fans, from women’s and men’s basketball to women’s volleyball.

Flipping through his schedule, you can already tell that 20-year-old Brogan is trying to make the most of his college experience. Whether he is being a mascot, finishing up some homework, or living up to the title of “super-fan,” Brogan is always on the go.

Temple basketball is Brogan’s favorite. He spent two days and nights outside the Liacouras Center in preparation for Morning Madness.

“I am at all the home games and I try to go to as many away games as are economically feasible,” Brogan explained. His greatest travels have been to Atlanta last year and to Chaney’s Hall of Fame induction in Boston.

Brogan is also very active with sports in another way. He works as a mascot on both the college and professional level, working with a team that plays in the First Union complex.

“When I am in my costume, I am the coolest thing in the world for kids. For the 10 seconds that I can shake their hands, I make them so happy. That is the best part of being a mascot,” Brogan said.

Nominate an Owl!
If you know someone who is an ‘Outstanding Owl,’ let us know! Send your suggestions to Kristin Boyd at kboyd@temple.edu

A sophomore Tourism and Management major, Brogan is also very active with the University Honors program. He is involved in many events, including being a participant at poetry readings. Brogan also continues to go home when he gets a chance to help out with his high school drum line. Over the summer, Brogan worked with the Allentown Central Catholic drum line, writing most of the music and improving techniques.

Brogan is an avid lover of theater and music and he tries to fit in a play or concert whenever he gets the chance. Whether he is working or thinking of a crazy antic for the next game, Brogan is enjoying his college years.