Outstanding Owl

Daniel Kilpatrick, 28, transferred to Temple University in 2000 from Bucks County Community College because, “I came to visit Temple and I loved it immediately.” Since then, he has maintained a 3.52 GPA, while being

Daniel Kilpatrick, 28, transferred to Temple University in 2000 from Bucks County Community College because, “I came to visit Temple and I loved it immediately.”

Since then, he has maintained a 3.52 GPA, while being highly involved in the Temple community and majoring in accounting at Temple’s Fox School of Business Management.

Kilpatrick is not only an active member of Beta Alpha Psi, the Honors fraternity for students in accounting, finances and information systems, but the president as well. Last year he represented his organization in the Temple Student Government, however due to time restraints he has passed this job along.

This year, as president, he is involved with almost all of the fraternity’s projects including professional development, meetings and fundraisers. The goal of Beta Alpha Psi, he explained, is to introduce its members into the professional field while making the transition from student to employee easier to handle.

Kilpatrick is so active at Temple because he has a desire to give back to the campus.

“I want to make an impact on others … you can always see me sitting at the Business school panels promoting meeting people and encouraging them to look at Temple,” he said.

Nominated by the previous president, Kilpatrick is also now serving a one-year term as a member of the Student Advisory Board for the Emerson Company, which is a collection of top accounting students nationwide.

In August 2002, Kilpatrick, along with 35 other regional students, attended a conference in Atlanta, Ga., to share ideas and opinions on topics relating to the accounting field.

“It was great knowing that the changes we recommended would land on the desk of the CEOs of companies that would one day be coming to recruit us. I was making an impact,” said Kilpatrick.

For the past 20 years, the Emerson Company has been a leading analyst of Big Five companies such as PricewaterhouseCoopers, KPMG and Ernst & Young. Every year Emerson releases a recruiting questionnaire asking for feedback on the impact the companies have on campuses, such as how well the job is advertised or whether or not a student understands why they didn’t receive a job.

Looking into the future, Kilpatrick plans to work in the public accounting field. After growing up in the Northeast, Kilpatrick plans to continue living in Philadelphia claiming it has the “best of everything.” This summer he will intern at Ernst & Young.

Pooja Shah can be reached at psha004@temple.edu