OUTSTANDING OWL

Esther Massey takes the stage as the next Outstanding Owl. She is a Jewish American, who grew up in West Philadelphia. She graduated from Masterman High School in 1999, and is currently a sophomore enrolled

Esther Massey takes the stage as the next Outstanding Owl. She is a Jewish American, who grew up in West Philadelphia. She graduated from Masterman High School in 1999, and is currently a sophomore enrolled in the Elementary Education Program here at Temple.

Good grades are not the only attribute Massey possesses. Massey is a dynamic dancer, and she has been kindling her love for the art ever since she was a child.

“It all started when I was six, and from that time on, dance has always been my forte,” Massey said.

Dancing was all she ever wanted to do, and like an internal fire, the passion for the floor has always burned inside her.

“It’s all I ever wanted to do. I mean I didn’t even care about school. I just wanted to dance,” Massey said.

When she graduated high school, Massey was set to enter the world famous Joffery Dance Company in Texas to become a professional dancer. Then her plans changed.

“I was all set to go. I easily passed through the rigorous selection process, and then my parents sat and talked with me. They basically said that they would support me in my decision, but they wished I would attend college.”

It was a fierce inner struggle for the young dancing queen, but in the end she took her parents’ advice and enrolled in her first semester of college here at Temple. She now makes the Dean’s list every semester and is a member of the Diamond Gem Dance Team.

This Outstanding Owl has more than one burning desire, however Massey is devout to her Jewish culture. She has taught young Israeli children english on several trips to Israel.

“My experience teaching there was much like my experience here at Temple–educational, unforgettable, and incredibly fun,” Massey said.

Besides her rigorous academic and dance schedules, Massey also happens to be the Citywide Chairperson for the Hillel. There Massey is responsible for coordinating events between all the Philadelphia Hillel houses’ activities. Wow, talk about a lot of responsibility for this spirited sophomore.

“It’s the way I like it,” Massey said. “I like to be busy and well involved. I need constant action. I think that is why this campus is perfect for me. It is like a city in a city, and for someone like me who needs to be a part of it all, Temple is definitely the place to be.”