Outstanding Owl

Russell C. Johnson, 21, originally from the Bronx, N.Y., is this year’s first Outstanding Owl. Thanks to his hard work, determination and dedication in high school, he was the recipient of an Oprah Winfrey $25,000

Russell C. Johnson, 21, originally from the Bronx, N.Y., is this year’s first Outstanding Owl.

Thanks to his hard work, determination and dedication in high school, he was the recipient of an Oprah Winfrey $25,000 Angel Network Scholarship for New York state.

He was both thankful and happy that he won the scholarship, because without the financial assistance, he would not have been able to attend Temple.

“I really wanted to come to Temple, because it has a lot of diversity and a highly touted communications program.”

His work ethic has definitely carried over into his collegiate career. A School of Communication and Theater (SCAT) Dean’s List student, Johnson is a Resident Assistant in Temple Towers as well as a Temple Escort Shuttle driver.

An avid football fan and Broadcasting, Telecommunications and Mass Media (BTMM) major, his professional aspiration is to become a sportscaster for ESPN. He would also like to establish a scholarship fund for underprivileged children from his neighborhood in the Bronx.

Known for his friendly and outgoing personality, he says, “I am very honored to be recognized as an Outstanding Owl, and I will do my best to maintain a high level of academic success.”

Send us your suggestions for who you think should be an Outstanding Owl Include that person’s contact information and reasons why they should be an Outstanding Owl.