Outstanding Owl: Jason Young

“I don’t want to be inconsequential or meaningless. I want to try to do something with my life,” Jason Young said, summing up his philosophy on life. As a political activist, art lover and musician,

“I don’t want to be inconsequential or meaningless. I want to try to do something with my life,” Jason Young said, summing up his philosophy on life.

As a political activist, art lover and musician, 20-year-old junior Jason Young is living the ideal life of a student at Temple University. Although he is currently studying, the only thing that he really wants to do is continue his education. He is learning about things that interest him ranging from political science to philosophy.

Stemming from a class titled Politics of Poverty, taught by Gary Mucciaroni, Young developed an interest in student activism. He is involved with the Temple Underground Railroad, as well as the Kensington Welfare Rights Union.

The Temple Underground Railroad primarily works to bring statistics about homelessness to the people and gain support from the student body. Last semester he worked on a blanket drive. The Kensington Welfare Rights Union is another anti-poverty organization. Young interned with this group, and since then, has been an active member.

During his sophomore year, Young was involved with the Police Athletic League tutoring group.

“It showed me the difference that can exist between public schools due to funding problems or other conditions, even smart kids can fall through the cracks,” said Young.

In addition to his political views, Young is involved with art.

“Art can influence a culture, which can be very political. There is more out there than what is available in the mainstream,” Young said.

Young has an interest in photography that he developed from his father. Through classes he has taken at Temple, Young has pursed this interest and wants to develop it further in Tokyo next fall.

I hope to find the intersection of Japanese religion in art through more photography classes,” Young said.

Music is another interest of Young’s. He began taking violin lessons at age five and is now an accomplished musician in classical and jazz. Some of his favorite memories of college include spur-of-the-moment jam sessions with other musicians on campus.

For now, Young plans to continue his education and attempt to keep crossing off items on his list of things-to-do. Next on the list is a semester in Tokyo. One day he hopes to reduce pollution limits and level incomes, or perhaps work for a non-profit organization.

“Right now my future is open-ended. I just want to focus on learning and see where it takes me,” Young said.

Pooja Shah can be reached at pshah004@temple.edu