Owl of the week: Jessica Eves

As a sophomore music education major, Jessica Eves knows little about free time. At 19, Eves spends at least 10 hours everyday in the Esther Boyer College of Music concentrating on her voice and violin

As a sophomore music education major, Jessica Eves knows little about free time. At 19, Eves spends at least 10 hours everyday in the Esther Boyer College of Music concentrating on her voice and violin training.

Eves first picked up the violin when she was six years old. Since then, Eves has continued playing the instrument with passion and dedication. She now devotes many hours a day to private lessons, as well as ensemble rehearsals with the orchestra. In addition, Eves participates in about three performances per semester with the orchestra.

Eves recently completed work on the Temple opera, “Cleo,” and was part of the ensemble.

“I don’t want to get too caught up in just one thing. I’d rather keep my options open this early in my career,” Eves said.

Following this motto, Eves is also concentrating on voice. She has been singing classical music since the age of 14 and continues to sing with the Temple choir. With this ensemble, Eves performs at least twice a semester.

“One day I’d hope to perform voice, as well as violin, on stage. It might be a little far in the future, but I’d like to hope that it will happen,” said Eves.

As she envisions the future, one thing is certain: music will always remain a part of her life. Whether she is directing a high school choir or orchestra, or on stage performing, she will be doing what she loves.