Owls dealt first loss of season

Temple’s winning streak ends in 14-10 loss to Stanford.

Despite junior attacker Jaymie Tabor’s first hat trick of the season, the Temple Owls received their first loss in a 14-10 game against the #18 Stanford Cardinal, Sunday afternoon.

“I was really pleased with our effort,” coach Bonnie Rosen said. “I think we were prepared to play today. We came out and found ourselves down a few goals, but quickly settled in and it was a battle”.

After winning four straight home games to begin the season, Temple (4-1) traveled to Palo Alto, California for its first road game, where Stanford (4-2) would end the Owls win streak and received their second consecutive victory.

“It’s the first loss, so it’s a learning experience,” senior captain Stephany Parcell said. “I think this game is motivation for the next two games and use this loss to fuel the fire”.

Tabor added two caused turnovers to her three goal output, while senior midfielders Charlotte Swavola, Stephany Parcell, and Kellee Pace scored two goals each.

Parcell led Temple with four total points, adding two assist to her two goals, but also led the team with four draw controls.

Freshman midfielder Kara Stroup led the team with four caused turnovers, freshman attacker Rachel Schwaab recorded an assist and freshman midfielder Avery Longstaff added a goal.

In a full 60 minutes of playing time, senior goalie Meghan Clothier recorded a career-high ten saves and added two ground balls, but received her first loss of the season.

For Stanford, sophomore attacker Kyle Fraser led her team with a game-high four goals. Junior midfielder Anna Kim, junior attacker Rachel Ozer, and sophomore midfielder Rachel Hinds recorded two goals each.

Junior goalie Lyndsey Munoz received her fourth win of the season and added nine saves to her season total.

In the opening minutes of the game, Temple fell behind by four unanswered Stanford goals. After exchanging goals, the Owls responded with their own run, scoring three consecutive goals.

Scoring one more goal before the half, Stanford went into the second period with a 6-4 advantage. The two hole was the first deficit Temple has taken, after a period of play, this season.

Early in the second period, the Owls managed to tie the game at eight, but a couple of Stanford runs ultimately decided the game’s outcome.

“Stanford is a very good team and we made inexperienced mistakes at times, that put the game out of reach,” Rosen said. “As an entire team, we’re continuing to grow, so a loss is just one little piece of the puzzle that is actually going to allow us to get better”.

Late in the game, with Stanford ahead 12-8, Tabor answered a four-goal Stanford run with two consecutive goals of her own, but Stanford answered right back with two more consecutive goals, which put the game out of reach.

“I think we played the best team we’re going to play this week,” Tabor said. “There were a couple of mistakes that were probably game changers, but I think it was great for our team”.

Brien Edwards can be reached at brien.edwards@temple.edu or on twitter @BErick1123.