Owls finish up Princeton Invitational

Temple concluded its final day of competition at the Princeton Invitational Sunday with six singles matches against the University of Pennsylvania. The Owls went 1-5 in their matches.

Senior Minami Okajima was the only Owl to win her flight. In the sixth flight, Okajima defeated the Quakers’ Nicole Berkman 6-3, 6-1.

“I always come out and am focused on winning the first set, but then sometimes I lighten up a little on the second set,” Okajima said. “We need to be focused and prepared to win every set.”

In the first flight, Penn’s Sonya Latycheva defeated sophomore Alina Abdurakhimova 6-2, 3-6, 6-3. While in the fourth flight, junior Mariana Bedon dropped her set 6-1, 6-7(2), 6-1, to Lina Qostal.

In the second flight, Yana Khon finished up the weekend with a  6-1, 6-2 loss to Ria Vaidya. Junior Anais Nussaume lost in the third flight  7-5, 6-3.

The Owls finished the invitational with a 6-24 match record, and coach Steve Mauro said the team will use this weekend to grow.

“The girls played a lot of opponents at a very high level this weekend. The competition was extremely tough and there were a lot of good matches,” coach Steve Mauro said. “I believe this weekend will help give the girls confidence in future matches.”