Owls go 2-2 on Senior Day

Temple spotlighted four fencers in their final season.

On the day where Temple honored their four seniors, épée Chantal Montrose, foil Epiphany Georges, sabre Tasia Ford and sabre Andrea Haley, the Owls went 2-2 at the Temple Invitational, with wins over No. 10 St. John’s University and Duke University. The two losses came to No. 1 Princeton and No. 6 Penn State.

“We fenced well,” coach Nikki Franke said. “I was pleased with how everyone fenced. Everything is coming together now at the end of the season for everyone… I was pleased that all four of our seniors had a winning record for the day. It was a nice way for them to end their dual season career.”

The Owls started the competition with a 15-12 win over Duke. The sabre squad went 6-3, while the foil squad went 5-4. Georges lead the foil squad with a 3-0 record. The épée squad was defeated by Duke, 5-4.

The team’s next match was against No. 1 Princeton. Each weapon lost by a score of 6-3.

The Owls bounced back strong and defeated St. John’s 18-9. Sabre won 7-2, foil won 5-4 and épée won 6-3. Junior Tiki Kastor lead sabre with a 3-0 record, while Georges and sophomore Fatima Largaespada went 3-0 and 2-0 for foil, respectively. Épée was led by Montrose, who went 3-0.

Temple finished the day with a one point loss to Penn State 14-13. The Owls won 5-4 in sabre but lost 4-5 in both épée and foil. Freshman Miranda Litzinger went 3-0 for foil, while Petra Khan and Montrose went 2-1 for sabre and épée, respectively.

“We felt that we really could have won that match. It was a little disappointing. But the girls fenced hard…we were right in it the entire match. It was a very good match.”

For the day the Owls were led by their senior’s- Georges, 8-4, Haley and Ford, 3-1 and Montrose, 7-5.

The Owls will look to win National Intercollegiate Women’s Fencing Association for the 18 straight year next weekend.

Michael Guise can be reached at michaelguise@temple.edu or on Twitter @MikeG2511.