Owls rally, but fall in extras

With the loss, the softball team dropped to 9-15 on the season.

Temple rallied late against Penn on Wednesday, but then fell in extras, 4-3, to drop to 9-15 on the season.

Penn pulled ahead early against right-handed starting pitcher, sophomore Kelsey Dominik. The Quakers scored one run in the third and two in the fourth.

Temple’s offense struggled, as Penn’s Courtney Cuzick held the team hitless until Dominik singled with two outs in the fourth inning.

In the sixth inning, the Owls got on the board. Senior shortstop Sarah Prezioso singled to start the inning, and then sophomore center fielder Annie Marcopolus followed with an RBI double. Later in the inning, the Owls cut the score to 3-2 with another double, this time courtesy of freshman catcher Kaylyn Zierke. The next batter, senior first baseman Brooklin White, hit a sac fly to tie the score at three. The Quakers replaced Cuzick with Alexis Sargent after the inning.

Temple threatened to take the lead in the top of the seventh. With two outs, Sarah Prezioso walked, stole second and advanced to third on a throwing error by the Quakers’ catcher. But Marcopolus struck out to end the inning.

Penn failed to score in the bottom of the frame, and the game went to extras.

Sophomore second baseman Leah Lucas drew a walk to start the eighth, but the next three Owls went down quietly.

In the bottom of the eighth, Quaker Leah Allen singled with one out and stole second. After a flyout and a walk, Allen was singled home by Kayla Dahlerbruch, and the Quakers walked off with the win.

Dominik, who pitched the entire game, was charged with the loss. She gave up four runs on nine hits in 7.2 innings, while walking six and striking out three.

Temple will play a doubleheader against conference foe Memphis on Saturday, with the first game starting at 2 p.m.

Don McDermott can be reached at donald.mcdermott@temple.edu.