Owls rebound from losing streak

Temple defeats Binghamton 2-0 behind a pair of second half goals.

After recently losing two consecutive home games, the Temple Owls defeated the Binghamton Bearcats 2-0 Friday night at Ambler Sports Complex.

“[The players] really brought a great attitude with them today,” coach Seamus O’Connor said “From minute one, the tackles were hard, the commitment was fantastic, and we didn’t give our opponents a chance to get settled in at all.”

Friday’s victory was the first home win for Temple (5-2) this season and its five wins matches the season totals of the previous two seasons. Binghamton (4-2) loses its first game since week one, ending its four game winning streak.

Sophomore defender Erin Lafferty and freshman midfielder Elaine Byerley each registered a goal against the Bearcats. Sophomore defender Kaylee Harner recorded the game’s sole assist, which came on Byerly’s goal.

In her fifth shutout of the season, sophomore goalkeeper Shauni Kerkhoff recorded two saves.

During the duration of the first half, the Owls held a heavy shot advantage against the Bearcats, shooting 10 shots compared to Binghamton’s one. Even after dominating the shot battle early, Temple could not net a goal in the first 45 minutes of play, making it a scoreless game at halftime.

In the 63rd minute of the game, Temple drew a foul on the way to the net, resulting in a penalty kick opportunity. Lafferty lined up for the penalty kick and scored, giving the Owls a 1-0 lead.

Later, Harner assisted Byerley for a 79th minute score which put Temple ahead 2-0. The Bearcats won the second half shot battle, attempting seven shots to the Owls’ four, but Binghamton could not take advantage of any late scoring opportunities.

“The girls just brought it to the next level,” O’Connor said “We’ve been struggling with commitment for 90 minutes and today there were no problems with it. They really stood up and brought 100% attitude today, from the first minute on.”

Brien Edwards can be reached at brien.erick.edwards@temple.edu or on twitter @BErick1123.