Owls remain undefeated

The defense pitches it’s third straight shutout as Temple defeats Mount St. Mary’s 1-0.

A late first period goal by junior defender Alyssa Kirk led the Owls to a shutout road victory against the Mount St. Mary’s Mountaineers 1-0 on Thursday night in Emmitsburg, MD.

“It doesn’t get old and that’s something we’re really enjoying,” coach Seamus O’Connor said “It’s been a lot of hard work”.

For Temple, Thursday night’s victory gives the Owls’ their first 3-0 record since 1992 and puts them one shutout shy of tying the program record for consecutive shutouts. The Mount’s (1-2) loss is their second in a row, both losses being shutouts.

“We talked about it before the game. I [told them] that if we win this game, we’re going to be part of history,” O’Connor said.

Kirk’s goal was her second score of the season. Sophomore forward Brendi Ernst recorded the game’s lone assist, which led to Kirk netting the winning goal. The Owls’ offense outshot the Mountaineers’ 18-8.

Sophomore goalkeeper Shauni Kerkhoff registered her third shutout of the season, in a game where she earned three saves and the win.

The Mountaineers’ were led by sophomore forward Julia Digiacomo and senior forward Jackie Corley, both registering two shots in the defeat.

“I’ve been very impressed with the defense,” Kirk said. “Not only are we 3-0, but it’s been three shutouts. Now the competition is going to get harder and hopefully, we can keep figuring out how to score goals”.

Sophomore goalkeeper Vicky Cocozza and Rachel Bourne played split halves for Mount St. Mary’s. Cocozza recorded nine saves in the first period, but allowed the game’s only goal.

Due to the nine first half saves by Cocozza, Temple struggled to score on shot attempts but in the 42nd minute, Ernst found Kirk for the first goal of the game. Kirk’s late first period goal gave Temple a 1-0 lead going into halftime.

Neither team was able to capitalize on their few shot attempts in the second period, which meant the Owls’ first period score proved to be enough to give Temple the low scoring shutout win.

“This was a very tough game because the girls went back to school this week, they’re tired from being at class and at practice, weight room started this week for them, then we traveled three hours to get to the game. I’m very impressed with them,” said O’Connor.

Brien Edwards can be reached at brien.edwards@temple.edu or on twitter @BErick1123.