Owls’ senior guards lead offensive efforts in win verses 49ers

Led by 45 combined points by senior guards Shey Peddy and Kristen McCarthy, the women’s basketball team came away with their fifth win in Atlantic Ten Conference play, rolling over Charlotte 65-55. Peddy and McCarthy

Led by 45 combined points by senior guards Shey Peddy and Kristen McCarthy, the women’s basketball team came away with their fifth win in Atlantic Ten Conference play, rolling over Charlotte 65-55.

Peddy and McCarthy made baskets early and often as the Owls jumped to a 24-7 lead in the opening minutes. The team’s leading scorers each had 19 points in the first half, while McCarthy was three rebounds shy of a double-double.

“We just started off very aggressive,” McCarthy said. “Charlotte’s a great team and we started off playing defense very well so that definitely helped our offense.”

“Shots went in for me,” Peddy said. “We got a pretty good look at the basket and was able to knock it down.”

Charlotte charged back with a 10-2 run but Temple stayed ahead by double digits for much of the first half before going into the break with a 41-34 lead.

The 49ers opened the second half with a trey from freshman guard Hillary Sigmon but the Owls responded with an 11-0 run before putting the game in cruise control. The second half turned out to be much more of a defensive struggle, as neither team shot above 30 percent from the floor.

“Defensively, I thought we did a really good job holding them to 55 points,” coach Tonya Cardoza said. “Obviously [Peddy and McCarthy] definitely did a really good job for us scoring the ball early.”

Next up for the Owls is road match against the rival St. Joseph’s Hawks on Wednesday.

Jake Adams can be reached at jacob.adams@temple.edu.