Football team signs 26 recruits on National Letter of Intent Day

The University of Pittsburgh, West Virginia University, and Michigan University were all beaten by the Owls in football. Yes, you read that correctly. The Owls defeated the aforementioned schools and nabbed the services of three-star

Al GoldenThe University of Pittsburgh, West Virginia University, and Michigan University were all beaten by the Owls in football.

Yes, you read that correctly.

The Owls defeated the aforementioned schools and nabbed the services of three-star wide receiver Vaughn Carraway. Carraway is one of the 26 student-athletes that committed to the Owls today, the first day that recruits could officially sign National Letters of Intent.

Twelve of the Owls recruits are from Pennsylvania including Carraway, a 6-foot-2 receiver fits the mold of one of three aspects Golden was looking to fill with this recruiting class. The Owls also looked to fill some holes along the offensive line.

“We really wanted some lunch-pail lineman that just love the grind,” Golden said. “I think we got at least four of them.”

Ryan Murray, a local product from Edward Bok High School, stands 6-foot-6 and weighs 315 pounds. Steve Caputo, whom Golden repeatedly mentioned was one of 18 team captains in the group and brought leadership, is 6-foot-5, 300 pounds.

Then there are the Boyle twins, Pat and Sean, whom Golden said he got “in a two-for one-deal.” The 6-5 brothers both tip the scales at 295 pounds.

The new linemen aren’t the only ones standing tall. Including Carraway, all three of the wide receiver recruits stand at least 6-foot-2, with Deven Baker, who totaled 17 touchdowns as a high school senior last season, standing at 6-foot-4.

“We wanted some size receivers,” Golden said. “We wanted to get bigger. If you want to get strong and get tough, you’ve got to recruit strong and you’ve got to recruit tough.”

Some of those linemen could potentially clear the way for the Owls three tailback recruits.

“We wanted to fortify the running back position where we’ve had some adversity and bad luck,” Golden said.

Enter running back Tony Cornelius, whom Golden said has “explosive speed and can change the play in one game.”

Enter James Nixon, who Golden said is a tailback, despite being listed as an athlete.

Nixon, a high school teammate of current Temple standout, sophomore wide receiver Dy’Onne Crudup, was a 2006 pre-season All-American who scored 19 touchdowns and accrued 1,532 yards, while averaging 9.6 yards a carry as a senior at Hyde Leadership Academy in New Haven, Conn.

Ahkeem Smith, another running back in the class, “has a really physical running style,” according to Golden.

With junior Jason Harper returning and sophomore Joe Jones ready to go after suffering a season-ending injury last season, the depth at running back has allowed Golden to tweak the look of his team.

“Daryl [Robinson] is at cornerback,” Golden revealed. “I don’t know if that’s breaking news, but he’s at corner.”

Robinson, a freshman, was the starting running back down the stretch for the Owls, but was ranked the best cornerback in the state by the Philadelphia Inquirer entering college.

“We’re still looking to become MAC champions,” Golden said. “And we think this class will help get us there.”

Terrance McNeil can be reached at tmac32@temple.edu.