Owls sweep last match of Invitational

The women’s tennis team defeated Norfolk State 5-0 Sunday.

The women’s tennis team finished the Virginia Commonwealth Invitational Sunday by sweeping Norfolk State 5-0.

In singles play, they won all four matches in straight sets. In the first flight, freshman Alina Abdurakhimova dominated with identical scores of 6-1, 6-1. In the second flight, sophomore Dina Karina also controlled her match by winning 6-1, 6-0. In the third flight, sophomore Anais Nussaume won, handling her opponent 6-2, 6-3. The fourth point in the match was won by default. Morgan State did not field a fourth singles player due to injuries on its team.

In the only doubles match of the day, the Owls prevailed in a well-fought match that went to a deciding tiebreaker. The duo of senior Rebecca Breland and freshman Yana Khon won the deciding third set to win 6-7 (5), 6-4, 10-6.

After losing to VCU by a whopping margin of 4-1 in the first match of the tournament, the Owls bounced back by winning its last two matches against Morgan State and Norfolk State.

“I was happy with how the team rebounded after the tough match against VCU,” Mauro said. “To come back after that start was important and I was happy with how they responded … our singles play was much stronger today.”

The Owls (2-1) return to action on January 30th when they take on Big 5 rival Penn at 3:00 p.m.

Dalton Balthaser can be reached at dalton.balthaser@temple.edu or on twitter @DaltonBalthaser.