Owls take on Delaware

Temple secures victories in two of the four doubles matches and five of the eight singles bouts

Day two of the Navy Invitational got underway Saturday afternoon with Temple squaring off against Delaware.

The Owls were able to walk away winners, securing victories in two of the four doubles matches and five of the eight singles bouts.

In doubles play, sophomore Hicham Belkssir and junior Kristian Marquart were defeated at the first flight by a score of 6-8. At the second flight action, sophomores Santiago Canete and Nicolas Paulus paired up to beat Evan Andrews and Tyler Flematti of Delaware in a 8-5 decision. Likewise, sophomore Sam Rundle and junior Hernan Vasconez were victorious as they defeated their opponents 8-1 at the third flight. Sophomore Macos Januvka and freshman Vineet Naran were not as fortunate as they fell 6-8.

In singles action, Marquart lost in a 5-7, 1-6 decision at the first flight. Vasconez was also on the losing end with a score of 2-6, 4-6. Paulus, Canete, Rundle, Belkssir and Naran all had commanding victories. At the third flight, Paulus defeated his opponent 6-2, 6-1. Canete won his matches with a score of 6-1, 6-3 at the fourth flight. Rundle was able to hold off the opponent in the first set and keep his opponent scoreless in the second in a 6-4, 6-0 decision. At the sixth flight, Belkssir kept his opponent at bay with a score of 6-2, 6-4. Januvka played to a tiebreaker, where he lost with scores of 7-5, 4-6, 0-1 (3-10) at the seventh flight. Finally, in the eighth flight Narran won with a 6-3,6-4 decision.

“Overall we won more matches than we lost,” coach Steve Mauro said. “I think the guys played well. It was a another good match that we played today.”

The Owls will close out the tournament by playing the host school Navy later this afternoon at 2 p.m.

“Everyone is pretty positive and I think we will beat Navy,” Mauro said.

Danielle Nelson can be reached at danielle.nelson@temple.edu or on Twitter @Dan_Nels.