Owls win third straight

Team has yet to allow a goal all season.

The Owls defeated Hofstra 2-0 Sunday afternoon, thanks to goals from senior Vaughn Spurrier and freshman Robert Sagel.

With this victory, the team improves to 3-0 as the Owls have yet to concede a goal at all in 270 minutes of play. Coach David MacWilliams is pleased with his defense and his goal keeper.

“We were able to win three games, but the most impressive thing is that we haven’t given up a goal,” MacWilliams said. “I think that’s big. We were in a similar situation last game and could’ve given up a goal which could change the complexity of the game. They had a break away [today] and our goalkeeper saved it and [it could’ve been] a momentum changer.”

The offense may have scored two goals, but the defense is the reason why the Owls were able to click according to MacWilliams.

“I think it all starts from the defense,” MacWilliams said about his improved attack. “If you do well defensively then it gives the offense a chance to attack. We are still going to still improve offensively and defensively and it’s going to take time. We have new players coming in and a good nucleus still intact.”

MacWilliams says the team feels confident.

“I told the guys today that let’s not stay too high. The key for us is to play with confidence, but not to be too confident so that we don’t have to put in the work.”

The Owls are off to a solid start, but MacWilliams says they still need to work on some of the little things in order to continue their recent success.

“Minor things,” MacWilliams said when asked about some mistakes that needs to be corrected. “Finishing out a game. Last 10-12 minutes, we weren’t composed and were in a panic mode. We have to do a better job finishing out a game. We’re giving them too many opportunities. So, holding the ball and keeping it [is something we’ll work on].”

The Owls play their third straight home game against Rider on Wednesday at 3 p.m. and will look to continue their success with a fourth straight win.

Hoon Jin can be reached at hoon.jin@temple.edu