PALEY, CHICKS, LIVE OWLS. THIS IS YOUR TEMPLE

One of the most interesting aspects of some of the courses I have taken at Temple University involve learning about the history of Temple. How much do you know about Temple U? Test your knowledge:

Q: In the center of campus is Samuel Paley library but who is Samuel Paley?

A: Samuel Paley once owned a cigar company in Philadelphia. His son, William S. Paley is known for saving the CBS station from going under in its rough early days. In fact, he ended up heading CBS for many decades.

Q: How about that bell tower where we always hang out? What’s the story behind that?

A: The building of the bell tower was actually made possible by funds from none other than the Samuel Paley foundation. The bells were made by a Dutch company. The base is from West Pakistan. It is the highest point on campus, reaching 100 feet.

Q: Why do guys go to Temple?

A: Sure, Temple has great academic programs, a fast-paced city atmosphere and fantastic employment opportunities, but is that enough? There must be another incentive for the guys: The chicks. Temple is 58.5% female to 41.5% male.

Q: There’s a big head in the garden near Paley Library. Who is that a statue of?

A: That’s Russell Conwell, the founder of Temple University. He is actually supposed to be buried right there. Bet you won’t walk by there at night during a full moon anymore, right?

Q: Everyone knows the owl is Temple’s mascot, but do most students like owls?

A: Of course they do! In fact, for many years live owls were kept by students on campus. So be careful which pet your roommate decides to bring home next!

Q: There are many famous people associated with Temple University. Obviously, Bill Cosby is the most well known of them all. Bob Saget and Tom Sizemore are a few others. But who else has ties to Temple?

A: “You and me baby ain’t nothing but mammals”…That’s right. Jimmy Pop, singer for the Bloodhound Gang, was once a media major at Temple University. Where else would he have gotten those unique writing/rhyming skills?

Temple professors and the Temple web site contributed to the information above.