Peace prevails in Northern Ireland

Bombs falling in Afghanistan are pulverizing all the big rocks into smaller ones, and Americans are so afraid to open their mail that millions of people may be missing their chance to win the Publisher’s

Bombs falling in Afghanistan are pulverizing all the big rocks into smaller ones, and Americans are so afraid to open their mail that millions of people may be missing their chance to win the Publisher’s Clearinghouse.

In this time of war, bio-terrorism, and skyrocketing sales of Cipro, leave it to a small faction of militants halfway around the world to show us the way.

The Irish Republican Army, long a thorn in the side of British rule in Northern Ireland, announced they have begun to disarm.

The IRA said in a statement that the move was designed to help save the fledgling peace process in Northern Ireland.

Bravo!

After decades of fighting in the region, the IRA is finally committed to searching for a peaceful resolution to their disputes with British rule. And not a moment too soon.

It’s about time that there is a serious attempt to quell the fighting in this unstable region. Perhaps this will be the start of a bright future for Northern Ireland, signaling the end of car bombings and shootings on the streets of Belfast.

This unprecedented move is already being seconded by the British. Just days after the start of IRA disarmament, the British began dismantling several watchtowers in the area. These actions can only serve to help the peace process move forward.

John Reid, Britain’s Northern Ireland secretary, said he expects the next step in the process is to allow the political institutions to be restored to full operations. Sinn Fein ministers, the political wing of the IRA, had been banned from North-South meetings for years, and hopefully now the two sides will be able to negotiate with each other without the threat of violence.

The advancement of the peace process in this strife-ridden area should signal to people around the world that peace is always within reach. Even today, with the fear that is running rampant through the country, it is heartening to see peace overcoming such a long-held conflict.

Gerry Adams, leader of Sinn Fein, does admit that many of the smaller fringe groups are not following the IRA’s example of putting peace before destruction. Hopefully, however, these small terrorist organizations will follow the lead of big brother IRA and disarm once they realize that without the military and political power of the IRA, they will be wasting their time.