Perfecting the art of water ice

With the number of people traveling in and out of the Student Center throughout the day, it’s easy to get lost in the crowd. But one man holding two spoonfuls of colorful treats can’t go

With the number of people traveling in and out of the Student Center throughout the day, it’s easy to get lost in the crowd. But one man holding two spoonfuls of colorful treats can’t go unnoticed.

And while some students pass by Siddiq Moore, the owner of Siddiq’s Water Ice, others smile, take a spoon and dig into their own cup of icy goodness.

Moore, who has run his business for 15 years, sells a variety of water ice flavors, including strawberry, peach and blueberry, which are all made from real fresh fruits. Prices range from $1.50 for a small to $3 for a large.

Though the water ice tastes fresh, Moore compared its natural flavor to a less-tasty product: gasoline.

“Gasoline is used by all cars, but there’s the regular, plus and premium gas,” Moore said. “[It’s the] same with water ice. There are water ices made with artificial flavors, which never come out good. Siddiq’s Water Ice is like the premium gas.”

Siddiq also said it would bother him to use artificial flavoring in his water ice, deeming it unhealthy.

“I want something people can feel good taking,” he said.

-Bisola Akinduro