Phi Sig rocks for kidneys

Contrary to popular belief, sororities are not all about socializing and partying. The sisters of Phi Sigma Sigma are proof that working together makes a difference. Their mission is to raise money for the National

Contrary to popular belief, sororities are not all about socializing and partying. The sisters of Phi Sigma Sigma are proof that working together makes a difference.

Their mission is to raise money for the National Kidney Foundation by participating in the annual Rock-A-Thon fundraiser.

“Last year, the sorority raised upwards of $4,500 by selling baked goods while rocking in a chair all day,” Phi Sigma Sigma Bursar Jayne Laychak said.

This was the fourth-highest amount contributed by any Phi Sigma Sigma chapter in the U.S. or Canada. The Phi Sig. sisters hope to increase their total this year.

The rocking chair tradition will continue Oct. 29 at the Bell Tower. Sisters will be perched in a chair from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Campus radio station WHIP will join them in providing music and entertainment.

“All proceeds from this one-day event benefit the National Kidney Foundation, with a portion also awarded to the sorority’s chapter-specific scholarship,” Fundraising Chairperson Jess Cook explained.

This scholarship may be awarded to a Phi Sigma Sigma sister at Temple University based on financial need and academic standing.

Since 1971, the sorority has donated hundreds of thousands of dollars to the National Kidney Foundation, in the quest for awareness through medical research and educational literature.

Funding has also gone towards providing summer camps for children affected by kidney disease.

Casey Kockler can be reached at Casey Kockler