Philly Ad Club hosts lecture on industry

Networking students gathered at Tuttleman Learning Center Thursday night for “Getting Starting and Getting Ahead,” a panel discussion and question–and-answer session featuring several members of the local media. The event was organized by Philly Ad

philly_ad_club_event-053.jpg

Networking students gathered at Tuttleman Learning Center Thursday night for “Getting Starting and Getting Ahead,” a panel discussion and question–and-answer session featuring several members of the local media.

The event was organized by Philly Ad Club, a non-profit organization that works with leading companies in the field of marketing, media and advertising.

Panelists discussed what life is like after graduation and answered students’ questions. Casey Boy from WMMR’s Preston and Steve Show moderated the event. The panel was composed of six successful people in the advertisement industry, including Ralph Major, an account executive for WPVI-TV and Ryan Barlow, a Temple graduate working as a project assistant for Portfolio Associates.

One of the recurring topics of conversation was the day-to-day activities in the field. Amanda Walsh, a senior public relations major, asked the panelists for a snapshot into their work life.

“A day is wild,” said Jenna Castaldi, a production and traffic manager at the Philadelphia Metro. “In the newsprint, you’re on a very tight deadline. Every minute counts.”

Panelists also shared how they approach their routines and how they keep them interesting.

“A desk is a terrible place from which to look at the world,” Major said. He added that in his job as an account executive, he is constantly meeting with people. This dynamic is what makes his job the more appealing to him, he said.

The panelists also gave some suggestions for students who are thinking of doing internships. They emphasized the importance of spending extra time on internship projects and working closely with internship supervisors.

Donald Snyder, a senior political science major, said he enjoyed the event.

“I thought it was really good,” he said. “I got a little bit of insight.”

Students used the opportunity to network as soon as the event ended. Many headed toward the lower part of the auditorium to get more personal with members of the panel in the hopes that someday this relationships turn into their first job or their next internship.

Julio C. Nunez can be reached at jottac@temple.edu.

Photos by Danielle Buxbaum.

philly_ad_club_event-073.jpg