Plans set in motion for inauguration

University President Dr. Ann Weaver Hart, Temple’s first female president, will be officially inaugurated Thursday – more than 10 months after the Board of Trustees elected her to office. “It’s not at all unusual for

University President Dr. Ann Weaver Hart, Temple’s first female president, will be officially inaugurated Thursday – more than 10 months after the Board of Trustees elected her to office.

“It’s not at all unusual for the inauguration to take place months later,” said Ray Betzner, director of communications.

“In higher education, the inauguration ceremonies are not often held when the president comes into office, but within the first year.”

The event, which is open to students and faculty, begins at 3 p.m. at the Liacouras Center.

There will be many guest speakers at the inauguration, including Temple alumna Sonia Sanchez, who will read a poem, and Temple Student Government Vice President of Academic Affairs Priya Patel and graduate student Ruth Marie Garcia, both of whom will give speeches.

Members of the Board of Trustees, faculty and delegates from other colleges and universities will also be at the ceremony, said Elizabeth Leebron, an executive member of the Inauguration Planning Committee.What makes this ceremony unique is that two former presidents will take part in the inauguration, Leebron said. President Emeritus Marvin Wachman and Chancellor Peter J. Liacouras will aid in the investiture, she said.

The inauguration, which should last for an hour-and-a-half, is more than just a celebration of Hart, Leebron said.

“It’s an opportunity to show a sense of community at Temple University and welcome our new president,” Leebron said. “The campus has no boundaries and neither does the city, and that is really critical for Temple.”

Chris Stover can be reached at chris.stover@temple.edu.