Poet Antin visits Temple today

The poet, performance artist and literary critic David Antin will be joining Temple University’s Poets and Writers Series on Thursday, March 18. Antin is internationally known for narratives in visual and verbal work. He studied

The poet, performance artist and literary critic David Antin will be joining Temple University’s Poets and Writers Series on Thursday, March 18.

Antin is internationally known for narratives in visual and verbal work. He studied science and linguistics at New York University, served as the Educational Curator for the Institute of Contemporary Art in Boston and was the Director of the UCSD Mandeville Art Gallery.

Antin is also widely known for his “talk poems,” which are tape-recorded comments written down without their punctuation (commas, periods, etc.).

Instead of punctuation, Antin uses three space tabs every time he hears himself breathe on the tape. His most recent talk piece, titled “The Noise of Time,” was published in the Boston Review.

Antin has produced a variety of published works including “Definitions,” “Code of Flag Behavior,” “What it Means to be Avant-Garde” and “Talking at the Boundaries.” He has performed at the Guggenheim, the Whitney Museum, the Museum of Modern Art, the Getty Center, the Centre Pompidou and the Musee d’Art.

The Poets and Writers Series is a compilation of recognized and emerging authors. The Creative Writing Program and Temple University Center City (TUCC) sponsor this series with the help of the Richard Moyer Foundation. Among the talented writers this spring are writers Sarah Schulman, poet David Antin, poet Chris Tysh, writer Anita Desai and writer Michael Martone. A Temple graduate in the creative writing program accompanies each writer.

All of the readings will be held at Temple University’s Center City campus on Thursdays at 8 p.m. The events are free to the public.

Jennifer Hendriksen can be reached at jenh@temple.edu.