Police force still a home for Bradley

Capt. Eileen Bradley was one of the first women hired on Temple’s police force.

For the past 37 years, Capt. Eileen Bradley has proudly been a fixture of Main Campus and the Temple Police Department.

She represents Campus Police at freshman orientation programs and tells students to take out their cell phones and put the campus’ emergency number in their address books. Bradley also helps out under the Campus Safety Services tent during Welcome Week.

After graduating from Temple with a degree in history, Bradley traveled abroad to Europe. When she returned, her aunt, who worked at the university, told her Temple’s police department was looking for new officers.

Bradley was hired immediately, not realizing she was one of the first women Temple Police had hired.
In 1972, Bradley and one other woman became the first patrolwomen in the city.

Her father, a fire lieutenant for Philadelphia, encouraged her to further her education. She eventually became a Philadelphia Police officer.

However, the director of Campus Police at the time had something else in mind.

After deciding to stay with Campus Police, Bradley was promoted to sergeant where she stayed for a year, until she was promoted again, this time to detective. She was also one of the first women in that position. She served as a detective for a year and a half before she climbed the ranks to a lieutenant shift commander.

Nearly five years ago, Bradley received an honorable promotion to captain.

In June 2008, she retired, but was brought back to the department. She is in charge of special events and services. She is involved with Spring Fling, events at the Liacouras Center, victim assistance, community groups and Temple Student Government.

Most recently, Bradley has become involved with student housing problems in the Yorktown neighborhood.

“Yorktown is at a standstill. Every student has been contacted by me,” she said. “It’s more of a morale thing. We want them to know that they have somebody to talk to, and if they need housing, Temple can provide it. Temple cannot get involved with this because it’s in the hands of the courts. We are a friend for those who need us.”

Bradley said she loves working with the students. Since she was a shift supervisor, she has been heavily involved with TSG and has even formed relationships with those who have graduated.

Bradley said she is always willing to help students in need, whether it is with careers or those who just want to say hello.

In regards to crime prevention, she said Temple has great security and technology with the bike patrol, lighting around campus, a state-of-the-art communications center and emergency call lights. The Temple alumna commended her colleagues on how well they handle emergency situations.

“It’s always been a challenge. Crime is down,” Bradley said. “The biggest thing at this time of year is unattended property. Students leave their things everywhere.”

The Philadelphia native said she enjoys the university’s service trips. Past trips have taken her to Belize, Mexico and Texas. This January, she will be heading to the Florida Keys to volunteer.

Bradley said the students should do community service in the areas surrounding Main Campus and also listen to President Ann Weaver Hart’s initiative to get out of the country.

“Those who take advantage of the trips come back to Temple with great work ethics and a passion for helping back home,” Bradley said.

Matthew D. Wargo can be reached at mdwargo@temple.edu.