Policy on repeated classes to change

Changes in the University policy on repeated classes and professor evaluations were announced at Monday’s Temple Student Government meeting by the TSG Vice President of Academic Affairs Nicole Viscomi. Beginning next fall, students who take

Changes in the University policy on repeated classes and professor evaluations were announced at Monday’s Temple Student Government meeting by the TSG Vice President of Academic Affairs Nicole Viscomi.

Beginning next fall, students who take the same class more than once will have all but the lowest final grade counted when calculating their GPA. The current policy was that only the highest of the grades was counted.

Viscomi said that this new policy was aimed at students who were taking some classes up to six or seven times in order to get a good grade.

Even though only the highest grade was used in GPA calculation, all of the grades for the repeated class appear on the student transcripts; graduate schools sometimes recalculate the GPA to include all of the grades.

Viscomi also announced that a new system for evaluating professors will be introduced in the fall semester. She did not have details on the plan, but said she was going to be receiving a copy of the new evaluation process soon.

Both the new evaluations and the new policy on repeated classes came from a meeting Viscomi had with Stephen Zelnick, vice provost for undergraduate studies.

Dean of Students James Fitzsimmons announced that an off-campus housing fair will be held on April 11 and 26 from 11 a.m.-4 p.m. at the Student Center. Local apartment complexes will be at the fair to provide students with information about off-campus housing options.

TSG President T.J. Baker announced at the meeting that the wheelchair exchange program that was supposed to take place on April 8 is being postponed until April 15 due to a lack of turnout. Students will be able to sign out a wheelchair at 9 a.m. at the TSG office on April 15 and use it for the day to go about their daily campus routine.

The program is designed to increase awareness of student disability issues.

Baker also mentioned that information from the Career Fair was available at Career Services on the second floor at Mitten Hall.

Brian White can be reached at zapata@temple.edu