Post-ban, smokers now feeling the burn

While Philadelphia’s newly-implemented smoking ban is still hazy to some city residents, one thing is clear: Smoking in bars on campus is gone for good. Both Maxi’s and The Draught Horse, the only two bars

While Philadelphia’s newly-implemented smoking ban is still hazy to some city residents, one thing is clear: Smoking in bars on campus is gone for good.

Both Maxi’s and The Draught Horse, the only two bars on campus, are firmly enforcing the new law, which went into effect Sept. 25. Caroline Pennartez, a hostess at The Draught Horse, said she doesn’t allow smoking in the bar when she is on the job.

“If someone tries to light up, they are told to go outside,” said Pennartez, a junior public relations major. And outside they went.

On Wednesday night, a small group gathered just a few feet from the entrance of the Draught Horse to smoke. Because it’s still warm outside, the smokers were jovial, but senior business major Jay Figoten said he is looking toward the future.

“I’m against the ban because, in the winter, it’s cold out,” Figoten said.

Bartender John King, who is originally from New Jersey, said he was used to the ban because there is a similar one in place in his home state. King said that seeing people smoke in bars in Philadelphia was foreign. It’s also harmful.

“I go home and my eyes are irritated,” King said. “I wake up in the morning and I have a sore throat.”

Fellow bartender Joe Yeager said he approves of the law. He said he no longer leaves the bar smelling like smoke every night. Yeager also said he thinks that other businesses in the city will be hurt, but bars at Temple will be fine because they have a consistent clientele of college students.

Senior film and media arts major Steve Mewha said he agreed with Yeager, adding that The Draught Horse will survive the smoking ban.”

People drink. They will drink no matter what,” Mewha said.

Many drinkers at The Draught Horse had mixed opinions about the barely three week-old ban.

Chris Blanch, a chemistry major, said he sees the law more as the government invading people’s lives than an attempt to improve health in the city.

Blanch asked, “What happened to rights? It’s an infringement on a person’s rights.”

Juliet DiLeo, a graduate student and non-smoker, said she loves the law, adding that she is much more likely to go out to bars now that they are smoke free.Robert Jenkins, a junior engineering major,
is a smoker who supports the law. The ban hasn’t stopped him from smoking completely, but he said he is smoking less. Now when he goes out, he said he’ll smoke three cigarettes outside instead of staying inside and smoking an entire pack.

Ian Macmillan, a bartender at Maxi’s and a smoker, also supports the ban. As he stepped outside to smoke a cigarette he said, “Everyone should have a safe work environment.”

Macmillan also said customers have been very good about following the rule and he has not had any problems so far.

Whether or not students like the law, it isn’t likely to change. Maxi’s and The Draught Horse each sell too much food to be eligible for a waiver allowing smoking in taverns.

LeAnne Matlach can be reached at LeAnne.Matlach@temple.edu.