PRAYER OF ST. PETER’S UNANSWERED AGAINST OWLS

Sophomore Liz Frengs scored two goals, including the game winner, as the visiting Temple women’s soccer team defeated St. Peter’s 6-0 on Saturday. The win was the Owls’ seventh of the season and extended their

Sophomore Liz Frengs scored two goals, including the game winner, as the visiting Temple women’s soccer team defeated St. Peter’s 6-0 on Saturday. The win was the Owls’ seventh of the season and extended their win streak to four games.

“The girls are finally buying into the system and beginning to play as a team,” Temple coach Seamus McWilliams said.

Junior captain Brandi Wright scored her team-leading sixth and seventh goals of the season for the Owls.

Frengs started the scoring, though. She took a pass from senior Julie Marx 13 minutes into the game and put it home to give the Owls a 1-0 lead.

That early advantage was all Temple would need, as the Owl defense blanked St. Peter’s.

Frengs’ tally was her second goal of the season and her first career game winner.

Wright added the next two goals to put a stranglehold on St. Peter’s. The first of Wright’s two scores was assisted by sophomore Brenda Gore and the second – only two minutes later – was unassisted.

The first half ended with Temple sophomore Stephanie Godsell scoring her first career goal with an assist from freshman Rachel Silver. Godsell’s score gave the Owls a commanding 4-0 halftime lead, Temple’s largest advantage of the season.

But that lead would only grow in the second half.

Frengs scorched the St. Peter’s net again in the second period, scoring her second goal of the game with about 13 minutes left. Freshman Amanda McFerren netted her first career goal to wrap up the scoring.

Marx recorded her third assist of the season and second of the game on McFerren’s goal. Marx now trails only Wright in team scoring.

Goalkeepers Courtney Woytowicz and Kristen Bakia had a relatively easy day in the Temple net. Each had to make only one save on a total of five St. Peter’s shots in order to preserve the shutout.

By contrast, the Owls peppered the St. Peter’s defense with 31 shots on the game.

“We were clearly the better team and we didn’t allow them into the game,” McWilliams said.

The victory on the road gives Temple some momentum heading into the Atlantic 10 conference season. The Owls, who finished in a fourth-place tie in the A-10 last year, opened up their league schedule with a 3-2 win against cross-town rival St. Joseph’s on Tuesday

“The coaches picked us to finish last in the conference, but I don’t expect that to happen,” McWilliams said. “We are a better team than that and I expect big things from them.”

The 2000 edition of Temple women’s soccer has already eclipsed last year’s win total. This year’s squad has performed well in non-conference play, outscoring its opponents 27-12 through nine games.

The Owls have been even more dominant away from home, winning all four of their road games by a combined 15-1 score.