Preparations for a safe Super Bowl effective; campus quiet

The aftermath of the Super Bowl left many heads down and many voices silent. The campus was quiet and still during and after the game, according to Director of Campus Safety Carl Bittenbender. “There was

The aftermath of the Super Bowl left many heads down and many voices silent. The campus was quiet and still during and after the game, according to Director of Campus Safety Carl Bittenbender.

“There was no rioting,” Bittenbender said.

The campus appropriately planned for the worst by tightening dorm security and nearly tripling the force. Because of the loss, the lack of action was not surprising, said Bittenbender.

Historically, Super Bowl riots in the winning team’s city are common.

“There’s no question it would have been worse in the event of a win,” he said. “It’s completely opposite when the team wins. It’s not nearly as much for a loss.”

Eagles fans at the university were simply too upset about the outcome of the game to show their emotions externally.

“We were more depressed that we lost than angry,” said freshman Andrew Marcus. “I just quietly walked back and wondered, ‘Now what are we going to do?'”

“I was at Mitten Hall and after the third interception, I just walked back alone,” said freshman Jordan Strauss.

However, both students agreed that there would’ve been inevitable chaos had the Eagles won. Bittenbender’s foresight was right on the money, according to them.

“I feel like if they won, I would know what to do. It would just come to me. I can’t think of how great it would have been,” said Strauss. “I wouldn’t have went to classes Monday and Tuesday. Bad things would’ve happened if they won.”

“I would’ve gone nuts,” said Marcus. “There would’ve probably been trouble.”

Typical expressions of emotion followed the game, but nothing especially violent. Two people were arrested.

“A few folks were upset at the loss and kicked over some trash cans,” said Bittenbender. “We just locked up two people for driving under the influence.”

During the game, it was clear that the campus was attentively watching – it was all but completely silent. After the game ended and the Eagles lost yet again, the floodgates opened and campus activity elevated.

“Activity was heavy after the game,” said Bittenbender. “But during the game, the campus was pretty quiet.”

Marcus thought that the police force’s presence during the NFC Championship victories was just right. They prevented people from getting hurt and allowed them to still celebrate.

“[The officers] let a lot go,” he said. “They’re pretty lenient.”

For the safety and security of the campus and the students, a loss may have been a good thing. However, to the students eager to celebrate for their team’s hard-fought victory, there’s always next year.

Jonathan Rashid can be reached at iJonny@Gmail.com.