President Hart to leave post June 30

President Ann Weaver Hart will step down June 30, 2012 university officials have confirmed. In a letter to the university community, Hart mentions the declining health of her mother in Salt Lake City, Utah as

President Ann Weaver Hart will step down June 30, 2012 university officials have confirmed.

In a letter to the university community, Hart mentions the declining health of her mother in Salt Lake City, Utah as in her “personal and professional decision.”

“I believe that Temple University should search for and find leadership in a new president who is able to devote her or his energy, time and attention over multiple years to these critically important goals,” her memo reads.

In the letter, Hart suggests she will be involved with Temple following her departure, through “teaching, special projects, and academic initiatives to which I can contribute.”

Temple Board of Trustees Chairman Patrick J. O’Connor said a national search for Hart’s successor will begin immediately, according to a university press release.

Hart was named president in 2006, following in the footsteps of David Adamany.

Temple Student Government Student Body President Colin Saltry said he “thought something was up” regarding the status of President Ann Weaver Hart.

“But we were still a little surprised about the news,” Saltry said.

Saltry and his staff received a phone call from Chief of Staff William Bergman at 11:30 a.m.

After hearing the announcement, Hart spoke to Saltry about her resignation.

At the time, Hart had only told her cabinet members about her decision, Saltry said.

“[Hart] was a little bit emotional over the phone,” Saltry added.  “She said we’re going to have a great year and she wanted to get this out of the way now.”

“She’s optimistic, but you could tell she’s broken up about it,” Saltry added.

Saltry said he would like students and TSG to play a role in assisting in the search for the new president.

Talks about the search will likely begin at the next Board of Trustees meeting on Oct. 11, Saltry said.

The new president is expected to be in office by Fall 2012.

For more information on this developing story, check back with temple-news.com.

Angelo Fichera and Connor Showalter can be reached at news@temple-news.com.