Price of SEPTA tokens going up

As of this Monday, students are going to have to pay more for their subway and bus tokens. The SEPTA board voted to raise rates Thursday afternoon. The price of a token will increase 15

As of this Monday, students are going to have to pay more for their subway and bus tokens.

The SEPTA board voted to raise rates Thursday afternoon. The price of a token will increase 15 cents, from $1.30 to $1.45. Transfers will also cost more, increasing from 60 to 75 cents.

Brandi Dyer, a junior BTMM major said she was outraged at the change. “That’s irritating because there are so many people at Temple who use public transportation to get to campus,” Dyer said.

SEPTA officials said the increases were necessary because the agency did not raise enough revenue this year. This increase comes after summer fare hikes raised TrailPass rates for regional rail trains by about 11 percent. The city sued the transit agency

SEPTA also attempted to eliminate transfers earlier this summer, but the city sued the transit agency, preventing the action.

Junior marketing major Ben Mies said he understood the need to raise rates but hopes they use the money wisely. “I don’t have a problem with them raising prices as long as they’re going to make their services more efficient and clean up the subways,” Mies said.

Other students were less understanding.

Nathalie Navarro, a sophomore art major, said SEPTA isn’t taking into consideration that the people who take the subway can’t afford cars so public transportation is their only option.

Junior finance major Tim Roe said he doesn’t trust SEPTA. He said there is shady business going on behind the scenes.

SEPTA is appealing to the Commonwealth Court to reconsider the decision on transfers. If the court allows SEPTA to eliminate transfers, they will revaluate their options.

LeAnne Matlach can be reached at leannematlach@temple.edu.