Under the Radar: Pro-Mania, “Shut Up and Play the Hits”, Mission of Burma, Kitchen Science

Philly Improv Theater’s Pro-Mania 2K12 Friday, Sept. 7 11:30 P.M.-12:45 A.M. $12 2030 Sansom Street PhillyImprovTheater.com If you like improv and professional wrestling, Philly Improv’s Pro-Mania 2K12 is an attendance no-brainer. As part of the Philly Fringe Festival, Pro-Mania will take place weekly starting this

Philly Improv Theater’s Pro-Mania 2K12

Friday, Sept. 7

11:30 P.M.-12:45 A.M.

$12

2030 Sansom Street

PhillyImprovTheater.com

If you like improv and professional wrestling, Philly Improv’s Pro-Mania 2K12 is an attendance no-brainer. As part of the Philly Fringe Festival, Pro-Mania will take place weekly starting this Friday. The troupe will be parodying tropes of the various absurdities regularly featured in professional wrestling past and present.

Pro-Mania 2K12 is one of the many assorted events that the Improv Theater will be putting on for the Fringe Festival, along with the Grimacchio Variety Hour and Myths & Monsters, among others.

Screening of “Shut Up And Play The Hits”

Saturday, Sept. 8

Midnight

$7

1003 Arch Street

TheTroc.com

When LCD Soundsystem announced in 2010 that they would be ending their career as a band after three albums, fans were (and continue to be) pretty upset about it. Luckily, their last show at Madison Square Garden was filmed and edited down to feature film length, named “Shut Up and Play the Hits.” Interspersed between the chaotic footage of the show itself, the surrounding days of the band are chronicled. Also, LCD front man James Murphy is interviewed by author Chuck Klosterman for the film.

The movie is part of the Trocadero’s annual Midnight Movie event, and is, sadly for those 21 and older.

Mission Of Burma

Friday, Sept. 7

9 P.M.

$16 – $18

Union Transfer
1026 Spring Garden Street

UTPhilly.com

When bands reunite, it’s generally because one or all of the members need some extra cash. This is not the case for Mission of Burma. Coming up on their fourth album since reuniting in 2002 after parting ways in 1983, Mission of Burma has fallen into the small percentage of bands (along with Dinosaur Jr.) that has managed to stay relevant long after their supposed heyday. After the release of their first full-length album, “Vs.,” Burma called it quits suddenly and then came back two decades later – chugging along harder than their original run. They’ll be playing in support of their newest album, “Unsound.”

Opening the show is local Philly band Purling Hiss, who has currently been making the rounds opening for many major touring acts that have come through Philly recently, including Wilco and Dinosaur Jr. Their brand of rock and roll recalls days when bands didn’t mind being referred to as rock and roll. See them before they eventually go off on a headlining tour so that you can say that you did.

Kitchen Science

Saturday, Sept. 8

1 P.M.-3 P.M.

Franklin Institute
222 North 20th Street

Free with Museum admission

fi.edu

Leave it to the Franklin Institute to combine two of life’s greatest joys: science and food. Once a month, the Institute hosts this event in the hopes of teaching people more about the science and under workings of the food that they make regularly. The main focus of this month’s event is “Sugar Content in Food,” which will consist of learning about how much sugar is in everything from soda to seasonal foods. Unhealthy foods will be stacked up against healthy foods in an attempt to get people to eat healthier, or at least to think long and hard before eating sugary snacks. Free with a Franklin Institute general admission ticket, Kitchen Science is for all people that like food…so everyone.