Quasi-fans unbearable

There is something about Yankees fans. Not New York fans, and not every single Yankee fan out there, but more specifically, the “Fraud Fan.” You know what I’m talking about. They’re that person with low

There is something about Yankees fans. Not New York fans, and not every single Yankee fan out there, but more specifically, the “Fraud Fan.”

You know what I’m talking about. They’re that person with low self-esteem and in dire need of something positive in their life, because they’ve got nothing else to live for. So, they latch onto a winning team not for the emotional aspect, but for the artificial sense of happiness.

Similar to Dallas Cowboys fans, who grew up watching “America’s Team” win on a consistent basis, the same is applied to those who claim loyalty to the Yankees.

The nature of winning is contagious, so naturally people are drawn to this. Now this isn’t a rant on all Yankee fans.

This is about the peripheral fan; the one who doesn’t know the Yankees starting rotation, or who only begins to follow the team when they clinch a playoff berth. The sort of fan that doesn’t know what suffering really is.

The worst of these types are the ones that follow no other sports team, except the Yankees.

A good comparison to this is Philadelphia Flyers fans. There is a strong minority that only care about the Flyers and ignore any other team or sport for that matter.

Where did I come to this assertion of fraud Yankee fans? For three years, there was a section editor here at the Temple News, who is an avid Yankees fan. Interestingly enough, he had no devotion to any other New York sports teams.

He ignored the NHL’s Rangers (one title in the past 64 years), never mentioned the Knicks (one title in 31 years). And when he admitted to being a Giants fan, he only liked them during the Bill Parcells years. Parcells led the Giants to two Super Bowl titles.

How convenient, I thought. Right when a team of his begins to slide, his loyalty is compromised.

For those unaware the Yankees have won 26 World Series titles.

Hmmm…

Can you say front-runner?

My contention is that a strong minority of Yankee fans are this type of fan. They pay little attention to other sports, but will support a team that is so used to winning, like the Yankees, even if they can’t recite their team’s starting rotation.

Now I’ll give due credit to my colleague, he’s been a Yankee backer even during the lean years (1982-1995).

And why do they cling to this franchise, but forget about the others?

They want to avoid the suffering that REAL fans endure. They aspire to a form of elitism that the real world has pilfered from them.

The term “diehard Yankee fan” is an oxymoron, because when have they ever suffered?

It must be reiterated; this is not an attack on real Yankee boosters, this is a reality check to the wannabes. But the sad thing is, the faux-fans are so steeped in denial, they don’t even realize it.

There’s no question the epic American League Championship Series between Boston and New York may have been the best sports story of the year. It’s captivated the nation with premise of good vs. evil.

Boston, bereft of a World Series title since 1918 and the Yankees, better known as the “Evil Empire,” who contend every year.

There is a sense of vindication to see the Red Sox overcome the largest deficits in ALCS history. Who knows, after the humiliating collapse, maybe there are a few less of these fans that I’m referring too.

Now critics might think this whole soliloquy is based on pure jealousy. Especially being a Philadelphia sports fan it has been one wild rollercoaster, but heartbreaking, (see: the Eagles three straight losses in the NFC title game) as well.

This is not about what’s fair and what isn’t. The Yankees and Cowboys have won a handful of championships, and Philadelphia is on its 21st year without a title. I can deal with that.

I’m just tired of seeing people who are not fans, turn into unworthy ones.

Jason S. Haslam can be reached at jasonhaslam@yahoo.com.