Quick trips for a change of scenery

Too much time at Temple can definitely give you cabin fever. Sure, your folks are paying big bucks to give you an education, and expect you to study 24-7. But we all know that too

Too much time at Temple can definitely give you cabin fever.

Sure, your folks are paying big bucks to give you an education, and expect you to study 24-7.

But we all know that too much work and no play can drive the typical college student cra-zay.

And if you don’t have a car, that can make you all the more miserable.

So here are some public transportation-accessible suggestions for places to hit up whether you are in the mood for shopping, dining, clubbing, or just hanging out.

The Gallery at Market East:

If you don’t know how to get to the Gallery, you need to turn in your ID and admit that you aren’t a true Temple student.

But for those who have been living under a rock, they should know to take the local Broad Street Subway (Orange Line) to the City Hall Station where you get a free transfer to the Market-Frankford Line (Blue Line), also known as the El.

Take the El to 11th Street and enjoy the area’s largest urban shopping center.

Other options are taking the express Orange Line train and get off at Chinatown, which puts you at the back of the Gallery, or, if taking the local train, to get off at City Hall and walk a few blocks down Market Street. This would allow you to see some of the other shops that downtown has to offer on Market, Chestnut, and Walnut streets.

Willow Grove Mall:

Take the Broad Street subway northbound to Olney Terminal. Transfer to the Route 55 or 22 bus towards the mall.

Plymouth Meeting Mall:

Take the Broad Street subway northbound to Olney Terminal. Transfer to the Route L bus towards the mall.

If the mall isn’t enough, check out IKEA for some cool and cheap dorm furnishings.

Cheltenham Mall:

Take the Broad Street subway northbound to Olney Terminal. Transfer to the Route XH bus towards the mall.

Franklin Mills Mall:

Take either the El train from city hall or the Route 3 bus from Cecil B. Moore, both headed eastbound towards Frankford Terminal.

From there, take the Route 20 bus towards the mall.

(Note: They are doing some heavy renovations at Frankford Terminal, so it is always advisable to ask a SEPTA operator to point you in the right direction).

Keep in mind this is not your ordinary mall.

Most of the stores contained in this huge sprawling maze are outlets, meaning quality items at prices that the Dollar Store can’t touch.

King of Prussia Mall:

Take the Broad Street Subway to City Hall, and either transfer to the El and get off at 13th street, or walk to 13th and Market directly from City Hall.

Then, transfer to the Route 124 or 125 bus to the mall.

Make sure you bring your parent’s money for this one, stores can get a little pricey, but you can still have fun playing with everything you find.

Just remember, “you break it you bought it” can be a real threat in these stores.

Manayunk:

From Market East Station, take R6 train to Manayunk.

Or, you can take the Broad Street Subway to Fairmount Station, then transfer to the route 61 bus.

Not only can you find cool shops, but great drink specials at all the bars, as well.

Check out the Manayunk Brewery, Chemistry or the Grape Street Pub for live music and cheap drinks. 21 and over only.

Delaware Ave/ South Columbus Boulevard:

Take the Broad Street Subway to Ellsworth/Federal station.

Not only can you find nightclubs to suit anyone and everyone’s taste, you can also find a college students best friend, Wal-Mart and the brand new Target.

Penn’s Landing:

From City Hall, go up the 2 or 3 stairway to transfer eastbound on the Market Frankford Line to 2nd Street Station.

You could also take the eastbound PHLASH bus to Columbus Boulevard.

Philadelphia Museum of Art:

Go westbound on the Route 38 bus from Market Street or take the westbound PHLASH on Arch Street.

Chestnut Hill / Mt. Airy / Germantown:

From Market East Station take R7 or R8 trains to Chestnut Hill. Or, from 11th and Market Streets, ride Route 23 bus to Mt. Airy Germantown and Chestnut Hill.

Afro-American Historical & Cultural Museum – 7th & Arch Streets:

Take the Market Frankford Line to 8th and Market Streets and walk about a block down to 7th street, then turn left to Arch Street.

You could also take PHLASH to 6th Street or the SPREE bus to 6th and Market Street.

South Street:

Take the Broad Street Subway to Lombard/South Station and get off at the South Street exit.

Then, take the Route 40 bus to 8th street.

The eastbound PHLASH also goes to South Street.

First Union Center/First Union Spectrum/Veteran’s Stadium:

Go southbound on the Broad Street Subway to Pattison Station.

New Jersey State Aquarium:

Take the Broad Street Subway south to City Hall. Use the 2 or 3 stairway to transfer to the Market Frankford line.

Once you get to 2nd Street, walk east to Penn’s Landing to the River Link Ferry.

Or, you could take the Eastbound SPREE bus or PHLASH to Penn’s Landing to get the ferry.

E-Center, Camden, NJ:

Or, you could take the Broad Street Subway south to the Walnut/Locust station, where you can transfer to the PATCO and get off at the Walter Reed Transportation Center.

New York City:

Take the R7 Trenton train from Temple Station.

Transfer to the Northeast corridor train once you hit Trenton, and that will take you to Penn Station.

The general SEPTA fare is $2.00, with a transfer going for an extra $0.60.

Tokens can be purchased in twos, fours, fives, sevens, and nines at machines in some subway stations and at local supermarkets and convenience stores (including our very own 7-eleven!) If you plan to be traveling for more than the four-token $5.20 worth, it may be more profitable to just purchase a $5.00 day pass at a SEPTA sales office like at Olney Terminal, 69th Street, 13th and Market, or 6th and Market.

Hey, after all, if you’ve been to one on-campus party, you’ve pretty much been to them all, right?

Don’t let your lack of tramsportation stop you from seeing all that the Philadelphia area has to offer!

Tiffany Glovercan be reached at Glovabull@aol.com