‘Real World’ Recap: Cleanliness is godliness

This week we saw the consequences of nonstop partying: The house resembled the bathrooms of Johnson and Hardwick. Various items – such as a sweatshirt, empty beer cans and a half-eaten hot dog – lay

This week we saw the consequences of nonstop partying: The house resembled the bathrooms of Johnson and Hardwick. Various items – such as a sweatshirt, empty beer cans and a half-eaten hot dog – lay on the floor. When one of Willie’s friends commented about the mess, Willie responded that he lives with six pigs. Landon overheared this conversation while sitting in the hot tub playing with a rubber duckie. In the confessional, he said Willie should confront him if he has a problem.

Sarah cleaned the house, announcing she can no longer tolerate living in filth. She cleaned the kitchen and bathroom, swept the floor and took out bags of trash. Drama ensued when MJ and Landon arrived home at 3:30 a.m. In a state of drunkenness, Landon screamed after he spilled microwavable soup on himself and the newly cleaned floor. Sarah asked him to be quiet, explaining to an apathetic Landon that she spent four hours cleaning. Bitter words are exchanged, ending with Landon cursing at Sarah. Feeling distraught, she asked MJ to intervene. MJ said Landon is uneasy about confrontations, yet Sarah yearns for a heart-to-heart with him.

There was a 30-second glimpse of happiness when the cast and children at Northern Home went rollerskating.

The last half of the episode centers on an assignment for the Philadelphia Soul. The roommates wrote a report on the concerns and issues of playgrounds. Landon, MJ, Melanie and Shavonda take the subway for the first time. Philadelphians show their hospitality by staring in silence. The four spend the rest of night at the office, working on the report. Meanwhile, Sarah, Karamo and Willie complain about Landon. Sarah said he mistrusts everyone’s ability to do any work, and is purposely excluding them from participating on the report. The day the report is due, Willie and Karamo arrive to the office four minutes later, causing the group to be warned about punctuality. Their bosses agree that the roommates must get along as a group in order to do well on their assignments.

Similar to almost every other episode so far, this one ended with a heartfelt moment. Landon cries to Shavonda that everything people say about him irks him. Later he apologizes to Sarah, ending with a long embrace.

Next week the shower becomes more overused as MJ and Sarah hook up – and not with each other.

Stephanie Young can be reached at sunbeam@temple.edu.