REALITY, TEARS AND NOT A HIT RECORD TO SHOW FOR IT

I have just finished watching the second episode of Popstars, the new “reality” show on WB17. I have never been as close to suicide as I am now. The premise is this: women in half

I have just finished watching the second episode of Popstars, the new “reality” show on WB17.

I have never been as close to suicide as I am now.

The premise is this: women in half shirts who watch TRL way too much stand before three judges and sing either “Genie in a Bottle” or “I’m Every Woman.” And then they cry.

This is just one of the many new “reality” shows that has or is premiering this season. I put the word reality in quotations because even though it documents the supposed real-life happenings of people in different situations, it is far from realistic. Firstly, the situations are pre-fabricated. There may not be a script, but these “documentaries” are far from reality.

The instant that you put a camera in somebody’s face, reality ceases to exist. It’s like at a family party, when your uncle breaks out the camcorder, and everybody tries to get on camera and say something funny. People do not act the way they normally would when they have a camera documenting they’re every move. Have you ever heard some one on The Real World fart?

But let’s get back to the case in point. I would not recommend Popstars to my worst enemy. The show is filled with minute upon minute of endless dreck. The women who appear on the show are shallow and fake, and if you were to hold a match to them, they’d probably melt.

This is the main problem that Popstars has: it is all style and absolutely no substance. It would be one thing if they documented a group of women who were starting a band together, and showed people the process of making it in the music industry. But as it is, it is just documenting the creation of a horrible pop quintet that will most assuredly spew out the same meaningless drivel that their foremothers, The Spice Girls, did.

However, if you are the masochistic type, you can catch Popstars on the WB Friday nights at 8:30 p.m. And may God have mercy on your soul.