Reduced capital funding, inclement weather topics at General Assembly meeting

A new weather protocol and capital funding were discussed at yesterday’s TSG meeting. Temple recently experienced a $20 million reduction in capital funding from the commonwealth, an announcement at yesterday’s, Nov. 14, Temple Student Government

A new weather protocol and capital funding were discussed at yesterday’s TSG meeting.

Temple recently experienced a $20 million reduction in capital funding from the commonwealth, an announcement at yesterday’s, Nov. 14, Temple Student Government General Assembly meeting affirmed.

Historically, the university’s capital funding, which primarily goes to building construction and facilities maintenance, was about $40 to $50 million, TSG Student Body President Colin Saltry said. But, due to shrunken revenue streams for the commonwealth, the Governor’s office has threatened a budget rescission for Temple, he said.

TSG leaders discussed the matter at their monthly meeting with President Ann Weaver Hart.

Temple is still receiving its $140 million in general operating budget, which differs from annual capital funding that does not have to be used on deadline.

“Capital funding, for us, isn’t as big of an issue as operating funding, because capital funding really doesn’t subsidize tuition costs. It doesn’t really keep Temple affordable,” Saltry said.

TSG members also met with Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs Richard Englert on Friday, Nov. 11, informing Englert of Self-Service Banner registration issues vocalized by students.

Many students, particularly in the biology and political science departments, faced problems with prerequisites and the application of advanced placement and transfer credits, as well as green card authorizations by instructors.

“He was aware that there were issues, but he wasn’t aware of what the specific issues were and how extensive they were,” Saltry said.

Englert plans to bring up the issue at the provost’s weekly senior staff meeting, Saltry said.

In TSG members’ meeting with Hart, the president outlined a new system to announce university closings during inclement weather.

“In the event of any inclement weather, there’s a 4 a.m. conference call with the major university administrators,” Saltry said.

Vice President, Chief Financial Officer and Treasurer Anthony Wagner must first come to campus and assess the situation before the university makes a decision.

“And then they call President Hart at about 5 a.m… with a recommendation,” Saltry said.

Campus Safety Services generally issues a TU Alert notice between 5 a.m. and 6 a.m.

Yesterday, Nov. 14, was the first day of public meetings held by the Presidential Search Committee in the Fox-Gittis room at the Liacouras Center. Students and faculty had the chance to give the committee their input for job criteria in finding Hart’s successor.

Saltry, who attended the 2 p.m. session for students, said he was surprised not only by the turnout of students but also by their suggestions.

“I figured we’d pretty much stick to student-centric issues, but we talked about relationships with the community, we talked about fundraising efforts for the university, we talked about facilities needs, we talked about our academic reputation, I mean, really, we ran the gamut,” Saltry said.

Meanwhile, the TSG Local and Community Affairs committee held a block clean-up on Sunday, Nov. 13 at 16th and Page streets, and at the parking lot of George Washington Carver High School of Engineering and Science, at Norris and 16th streets.

The clean-up had a peak of about 35 participants, 20 of whom from the Kappa Delta Rho fraternity and 15 citizens from the local community, Samuel Bias, committee co-chair, estimated.

“Before, [the community] were a little reluctant to work with us just because of our previously relationship. But community members seemed really open to working with us, and it ended up being a really good time,” Bias, a sophomore advertising major, said.

The committee is planning another clean-up on for this weekend, at either 17th Street and Montgomery Avenue or at the lot between 18th and Gratz streets.

Amelia Brust can be reached at abrust@temple.edu.