For reggae rock band, one gigabyte is enough

Post Sun Times, formed in 2012, released its first EP on flash drives.

With Dan Rohe on keys, Robin Carine on guitar, Matt Kay on bass and Adam Ferguson on drums, Post Sun Times practiced in its South Philadelphia studio on Thursdays to work on its recently released EP, “PST.” Brianna Spause | TTN

West Philly band Post Sun Times entirely ruled out releasing its new EP on CDs.

“A CD is kind of a waste – it turns into garbage as soon as you load it onto your computer,” Robin Carine, guitarist and vocalist of the band, said.

The two-and-a-half-year-old reggae-rock band recently released its first EP “PST” on USB flash drives.

Post Sun Times members – Carine along with Matt Kay on bass, Adam Fergurson on drums and Dan Rohe on the keys – agreed that a USB drive was the most efficient way to release their new music.

“Think about it this way,” Fergurson said. “In 10 years, it will be super cool to have a USB. It will be like the 8-track of our generation.”

The resurgence in popularity of vinyl records over the past five years also presents an appealing format, Kay said, but the band will stick with one gigabyte of file storage “as long as USB is relevant.”

“People want to have music at the click of a button,” Rohe said. “Honestly, I don’t even have a CD drive anymore, but you can plug a USB drive into your television.”

Alongside five tracks, presented in both .mp3 and .wav format, Post Sun Times has included its newly released music video for “Only Bones.”

As far as an outstanding video production budget went, they had none. Post Sun Times’ practice studio in South Philadelphia is also home to Yeah Dude Comics where artist Pat Aulisio does studio work. One day in late July, they had an idea.

“[Aulisio] has all of these old VHS tapes that he will watch while he is drawing comics,” Fergurson said. “I said, ‘Dude. Make a video for us,’ and he did. And it was everything we had ever wanted.”

From the off-hand request to the 3 a.m. YouTube video release, a mashup of early ‘90s VHS tapes were pasted together in what seemed like no time at all, Kay said. The clips ranged from the utterly obscure to the easily recognizable, like scenes from The Undertaker’s glory days on WWE.

“When we watched it for the first time, we laughed our a—s off,” Kay said. “We probably watched the video five times and we were just losing it. We just gave him very vague guidelines, like don’t be too raunchy or out of control.”

“And just don’t use Robocop – those were really the only guidelines,” Rohe said. “But obviously, you know The Undertaker, and you all love when his eyes roll back in his head.”

Post Sun Times members said they were happy to add the eclectic video to its discography, as a retro spin on its technologically innovative EP release.

Post Sun Times set out on a brief tour around Ohio to promote “PST,” and introduced the new music to fans at its home base in West Philadelphia at the Millcreek Tavern on Aug. 28.

brianna.spause@temple.edu

@briannaspause