Response to Fountain of Fear

Dan Friel Music Education danfriel@astro.temple.edu (215) 777-4064 The debate over the idea of “too much technology” is one that has been causing controversy since the beginning of society. As new scientific discoveries are being made

Dan Friel
Music Education
danfriel@astro.temple.edu
(215) 777-4064

The debate over the idea of “too much technology” is one that has been causing controversy since the beginning of society. As new scientific discoveries are being made this debate continues and people ask not if scientists can perform new techniques, but rather should they perform this controversial research. Both sides of this argument have been heard from recently in light of new scientific research. Most recently in response to research done by a group of Boston scientists that hope to lengthen people’s lives. This new scientific research is not a crime against humanity, but rather another example of man changing his environment and thus transforming himself.
Thru the application of scientific research, man has had to reconsider his relation to his environment and to other men. The discovery of new scientific ideas has ushered in social change. These discoveries were always challenged by people of the time and especially those in power. Galileo’s ideas were met with much cynicism and disbelief. But it was thru the tool of the telescope that questioned man’s relationship to nature dooming the medieval world. Bishops and cardinals, who counted dollars and cents rather than satisfaction, questioned Galileo’s results. And there were the church scientists who were wounded by art and science’s ultimate injury, they were not able to understand it anymore.
Although the discoveries of the Boston scientists may not have the significance of Galileo’s, they may be a stepping stone to yet a new tool and a new way of seeing human nature. The discovery of a way to lengthen human life is not a mistake by humanity, but rather a way to confront human nature. It is our responsibility to use this technology responsibility and if necessary, to change our way of life in order to accommodate a new development in our continuing journey as an unfinished and continually evolving species.