Restaurant Week offers affordable dining options

Perhaps you have been dying to dine at some of Philadelphia’s finest restaurants, but then you remember you are a poor college student. Relax! January 23-28 is Center City Restaurant Week. For six days, 82

Perhaps you have been dying to dine at some of Philadelphia’s finest restaurants, but then you remember you are a poor college student. Relax! January 23-28 is Center City Restaurant Week.

For six days, 82 Center City restaurants are offering a three-course menu for only $30 a person.

On a regular night, $30 might only cover an entrée at most of these restaurants. This week is intended to give an opportunity to those who would not normally make it into the city for a big dinner.

Five of restaurateur Stephen Starr’s restaurants are adding their menus to the week’s long list of options. Alma de Cuba’s modern Cuban cuisine, Angelina’s Italian, El Vez’s modern Mexican, Tangerine’s Mediterranean and Washington Square’s revamped modern American cuisine have all been tailored to the $30 budget.

Freshman Nicole Patterson and her friends are excited to experience the dining in Center City.

“A group of my friends and I are definitely going sometime this week. We heard about it last semester, but missed the chance to go. I’ve wanted to try some of the restaurants and now I have a reason to,” Patterson said.

Couple Dan Papa, a sophomore, and Robyn Baylor, a freshman, would like to take advantage of Restaurant Week’s prices.

“It’s so hard for us to go out to dinner at some of Philly’s restaurants, because we just don’t have enough money,” Baylor said. “We made reservations at Il Portico [an Italian restaurant on Walnut Street] since we’d usually never be able to go there.”

Last semester, freshman Rachel Playe went to Twenty21 on Market Street with a group of four friends.

“There was another group of college students there also, but the rest of [the customers] were businessmen. We had a lot of fun, and they didn’t treat us like we were just students. They treated us like any other customer, and we had full range of the menu for $30,” said Playe.

Reservations are suggested to ensure a table. Center City District’s Web site has a list of the 82 participating restaurants along with telephone numbers and links to the restaurants’ Web sites at www.centercityphila.org/restaurantweek.

Kaitlyn Dreyling can be reached at khd1217@temple.edu.