Return of Tyndale, Marshall could vary

ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. – Men’s basketball coach Fran Dunphy said last week at Atlantic Ten Conference Media Day that it’s likely junior guard Mark Tyndale will return to the Owls before senior center Wayne Marshall.

The players, both two-year starters, will miss at least the season’s first six games due to academic ineligibity. If eligible, they could play their first game Dec. 16 at Towson.Tyndale is currently practicing with the team, but Marshall is out with physical issues. Though Dunphy could not say exactly what those issues are, he said Marshall has experienced dizziness spells similar to those that plagued him last season.

“I would rather that information come from the trainers or the doctors as to what his issues are, because that’s their theater,” Dunphy said.

The 6-11, 285-pound Marshall averaged 7.2 points and 4.3 rebounds per game last season.

Tyndale was the Owls’ third-best scorer last season, averaging 10.9 points and led the Owls with 5.1 rebounds.

Dunphy said Tyndale has performed well in practice and that as the season progresses, Tyndale will continue to work with the starters during practice.

“We’ll work him into the lineup at different times even though he won’t be playing,” Dunphy said. “When we’re practicing, he’s going to need to be there with the guys who are going to be getting the most minutes.”

The loss of Tyndale and Marshall for the first semester leaves the senior guard Dustin Salisbery as the only returning starter.

Dunphy said he has not yet settled on a starting five outside of Salisbery and senior forward Dion Dacons, who averaged 1.3 points and 2.3 rebounds off the bench last season.

“After that, I think a lot of guys are proving themselves,” Dunphy said. “There are some kids who have stepped up, but at this point we’ll work with different lineups everyday for another couple of weeks anyway.”

John Kopp can be reached at john.kopp@temple.edu.