Saturday at The Underground, Nov. 19, 10 p.m.

This Saturday Temple welcomes two distinct bands to the stage at the Underground. Musical groups Jata and Jena Berlin will perform. Jata is a Philadelphia-based band that got its name from the Hindi word for

This Saturday Temple welcomes two distinct bands to the stage at the Underground. Musical groups Jata and Jena Berlin will perform.

Jata is a Philadelphia-based band that got its name from the Hindi word for dreadlocks. The four-member band was founded in 2002. Paul Downie, a 2004 Temple alumnus and singer and drummer for the group, said their musical style is a “mixture of reggae and New Orleans style rhythm and blues.”

Other band members include Paul Brion on guitar and vocals, Jim Sergovic on keyboard and vocals and Rich Cyrus, the group’s percussionist. Jata’s sound is inspired by blues musicians Taj Mahal and Corey Harris, Downie said.

Jata released their first album, Dirty Roots, in April. More information on the band and their music can be found at www.jatamusic.com.

Jena Berlin has been together for two years. Members include guitarists Mark Eble and Dave Klyman (who also add vocals), lead singer Jon Loudon, Jesse Gaun on bass guitar and Jeff Meyers on the drums.

Klyman, Loudon and Meyers graduated from Temple in May 2005. Meyers described their style as hardcore rock that is “a little more edgy than radio rock.” He also said that their sound is influenced by the bands Refused and At the Drive In. Their name is a combination of the two German cities where Karl Marx studied.

“We are not communist, but the idea parallels our view of the music industry,” Meyers said.

The band believes in the idea that music should be more about doing what you love and less about making money.

“We have very passionate musical beliefs and the name is almost like a hidden bash at the music industry,” Meyers said.

Their most recent album Passion Waits as the Program Keeps Going dropped in June. For more information on Jena Berlin, visit www.jenaberlin.com.

-Ashley Truxon