Say goodbye to chattering teeth and goosebumps

Columnist Mark Longacre tells students how to bundle up for the winter while staying classy. As the temperature drops lower each day, and the wind sends chills through our bodies, I felt it was necessary

Columnist Mark Longacre tells students how to bundle up for the winter while staying classy.

As the temperature drops lower each day, and the wind sends chills through our bodies, I felt it was necessary to discuss ways to stay warm without looking like the Michelin Man.
Mark Longacre

There is no reason anyone should walk around with wet hair. We are all guilty of running out the door with wet hair from time to time, but in the winter, it should not happen. Instead, take an extra five or 10 minutes to blow dry.

Some products  will keep your locks straight or your curls bouncy without styling tools. Any salon will match a product with your hair type, and the effort will dramatically improve your look.

Once you have the hair dried, be sure to moisturize. Skin care is vital during the winter months because the tundra-like streets of North Philadelphia and the blistering heat from Anderson Hall’s boilers make your skin and lips drier than the Prohibition.

Be sure to moisturize your hands and face with products that match your needs, and Burt’s Bees will keep your luscious lips smooth – no one likes kissing sand paper.

Now that you’re groomed and smoother than a baby’s bottom, take some time to hit the gym. The holidays take their toll on the waistline – I still can’t button some of my jeans, but working out early accomplishes two things.

First, the increased circulation from exercise keeps the body warm. Second, the first wave of spring fashion was released earlier this month; time spent at the IBC Recreation Center will help you look your best when its time for your spring awakening.

Now that you are breaking a sweat, it’s time to bottle that warmth with clothing. In the dead of winter, no one should be showing exposed skin below the face while outside. You shouldn’t have to freeze to be hot.

Girls can stay stylish and warm by donning a pair of stylish knee-high leather boots, fitted jeans and a pea coat. Top the look off with matching leather gloves and a scarf.

For those days when there’s more slush than in 7-Eleven, get a pair of rain boots and a fitted trench coat – coincidentally Burberry carries both.

When dressing for the cold, layer your clothing because coats can only do so much. Start with a plain cami, then pick a T-shirt and wrap yourself in a sweater or cardigan – cashmere always does the trick for me.

Fortunately for men, it is easier to stay warm in the winter. Avoid slim-fit jeans because they don’t allow much air between the denim and your skin; air insulates, so you want as much as you can get.

Dress up the boot-cut jeans with a polo and sweater, and you’ll love the way you look. Top it off with a pea coat, gloves and scarf, and you’re ready to trek through anything nature throws at you.

Feel free to branch out from the pea coat, a classic winter staple, but use caution. Start with a pair of water-resistant snow boots and pair them with boot-cut jeans and a GORE-TEX jacket with a fur-lined hood.

If you keep the fur subtle, it won’t look like you raided Neiman Marcus in the mid ‘90s, but it will keep you warm.

Remember, the key to style is creating a cohesive look. Fashion, much like art, is subjective, and you can express yourself in any way you choose. As long as you understand the basic rules of fashion, feel free to experiment. Try something new because the next big trend might be yours.

Mark Longacre can be reached at mark.longacre@temple.edu.