SCHLOCK THE VOTE

Another election year has reared its ugly little head and the masses are once again bombarded with full media coverage of every twist and turn of the delegates respective campaign trails. First-time and young voters

Another election year has reared its ugly little head and the masses are once again bombarded with full media coverage of every twist and turn of the delegates respective campaign trails.

First-time and young voters have the double-edged sword of dealing with the “Rock the Vote” campaign for which they are the target audience.

Perhaps the worst part of the whole election process this time around is the lackluster candidates “We The People” have to choose from. Thus far, I have not even bothered to register.

I know the admission of my failure to register as a voter may sound awful to those who adhere to the urgings of your favorite musical celebrities to vote. You might be saying to yourself: “But it’s your right as a citizen to vote” and “Your vote counts.” And this is the part where I say: “No, it doesn’t.”

A notable instance of the popular vote being undermined dates back to 1824 when Andrew Jackson was defeated in his bid for the Presidency by the wealthy John Quincy Adams, son of former President John Adams. It was not until four years later that Andrew Jackson defeated Adams in the Presidential Election.

Thanks to the House of Representatives who feared an INDIVIDUAL of his credentials taking the highest office in the nation, they did their best to make up for the overwhelming popular vote when the Electoral College’s vote was too close to denote a clear winner in the 1824 election. The tradition continues today.

Adding to the farce that is “Decision 2000,” third-party candidates, Ralph Nader and Pat Buchanan were not allowed to participate in the televised debate with Bush and Gore. Even more insulting, Ralph Nader, after being given a ticket to the Boston event by a Umass-Boston student, was turned away at the door.

Nader was told that he was not welcome to participate in the debates in any way, including physically being present.

In reality, voters do not have a broad spectrum to choose from, nor are candidates not belonging to the two main political parties given equal – let alone substantial – media coverage. In this year’s election, there are at least 50 to 60 candidates from other independent parties who are running for the Presidency. Lesser-known candidates not endorsed by a major party are unable to inform the public of their stances on issues that concern the American public.

This greatly lessens the candidate’s chances of winning the election. Is it because they do not have enough money to build a large-scale campaign? If that is the case, the days of Abraham Lincoln – when anyone could become President- are truly gone.

It is the political parties and legislature that choose their delegates, thrust them upon the voter, and say: “Here, pick one.”

It is a rather sad note that a country founded to preserve the rights of the individuals making up the body has fallen to espouse mob mentality and downright fear of those who deviate from the “norm.” Rather than protect the rights of individual people, this country has regressed to maintaining the status quo of the privileged.

Remember, “There’s no `I’ in `Team!'” The individual in our society is to be feared. It is for that reason your vote really does not count. It would be a real show of democracy if no one showed up to vote at the polls in November.

The real voice of the People would be heard saying “We don’t like the crap you’ve tossed in our laps. We deserve better.”

Do not base your opinions of the candidates or those of your favorite celebrities, or especially aging American pop-stars whom spend more time abroad than on their native soil. Please make your own choice as to who you vote for this election year, if indeed you do choose to vote.