Search for new CFO underway

President Ann Weaver Hart initiated a realignment of a key administrative position in the university’s Executive Office of the President. The change, which took effect Jan. 1, resulted in a search for a new chief

President Ann Weaver Hart initiated a realignment of a key administrative position in the university’s Executive Office of the President. The change, which took effect Jan. 1, resulted in a search for a new chief financial officer.President Hart said the restructure will help “achieve even greater effectiveness
and efficiencies.”

After 11 years of service, Martin Dorph resigned from his post as chief financial
officer after accepting a position as the senior vice president for budget and finance at New York University.

During his tenure, Dorph assisted in the arrangement of negotiations made with housing developers at Main Campus, as well as in surrounding neighborhoods. He also played a role in the partnerships between commercial and retail developers and the university.

“He helped Temple accomplish more in the last decade than most institutions accomplish in half a century,” said President Ann Weaver Hart of Dorph.

Brill Neumann Associates, a private firm that concentrates in consulting executive
searches for colleges and universities, is conducting the search for a new chief financial officer. The potential candidates should have at least 10 years of experience in progressively responsible financial positions.

“The search firm was hired in order to find the greatest candidate for the position,”
said Director of Communications Ray Betzner. “The university and firm worked together on a plan to come up with requirements that will be needed for this high-status position.”

Under the realignment, the new chief financial officer would also be named vice president and treasurer. The responsibilities would include advising the Board of Trustees on matters such as treasury, financial operations/controller,
investments, budget, risk management, sponsored fund accounting, tax and purchasing.

Susan Karakantas will serve as the interim
chief financial officer and treasurer until a replacement is named. Karakantas served as the university’s associate treasurer for five years where she worked closely with Dorph.

“In that capacity, I have been responsible
for our banking, investment management
and investment custody relationships and investment performance reporting for the Subcommittee on Investments and the Board of Trustees.” She said, “I have worked with Marty Dorph on bond issues and other finance-related areas.”

The restructure has also resulted in the promotion of several key administrators including Clarence D. Armbrister who will now serve as the executive vice president and chief operating officer. Former Associate Vice President Melissa Coopersmith was named the president’s chief of staff and the senior assistant
to the president, Anne Nadol, became the director of operations for the office.

Megan Kelsey can be reached at mkelsey@temple.edu.