Search for new provost begins

In the midst of searching for the next provost of Temple, the Provost Search Advisory Committee held an open meeting with students Oct. 19 to hear concerns of the student body, which, as the committee

In the midst of searching for the next provost of Temple, the Provost Search Advisory Committee held an open meeting with students Oct. 19 to hear concerns of the student body, which, as the committee noted, is a “key component” in the selection of candidates.

The university provost is responsible
for working with each of the university’s departments to adjust the existing curriculum to present needs, hiring faculty members, granting tenure and initiating changes in grading policies, among other responsibilities.

The meeting was headed by Beth Taylor, a consultant for Witt/Kieffer, a national executive search firm. The firm was hired by PSAC to select candidates who will fit the needs of the administration and the student body.

“It’s important for us to hear the students’ voices,” Taylor said. “This is key in selecting candidates for the university’s provost, which is heavily involved in student life.”

While the turnout was low, many pressing issues were raised by the students who attended, such as core-curriculum standards, event coordination, student/administration collaboration and grading policies.

Raysean Hogan, Temple Student Government
president, was a strong presence during the meeting.

“Student involvement has always been a crucial aspect in Temple affairs,” Hogan said after the meeting.

“But we need a provost who will have a better working relationship with student affairs. This needs to be a collaborative
effort.”

Among the variety of issues discussed during the conference, a prevailing theme was the university and college core requirements and its effectual delay on graduation.

“There are 17 classes in the business core before you even get to your concentration,” Lindsay Siegle, vice president of the honors association, said about the current academic requirements.

“It’s basically impossible to graduate in four years.”

Several other meetings were held by consultants Oliver Tomlin and Jean Dowdall Oct. 19 and Oct. 20 for faculty, staff and students at Ambler, Tyler and Health Sciences campuses.

Sam Benesby can be reached at samuel.benesby@temple.edu.